Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 25 Nov 95 22:21:12 EST
From:         John Anderson <ja@coe.wvu.edu>
Subject:      Sears Trailhandler A-T tires

Well,

I'd been planning the new tires for the parents '77 for a couple of weeks now, old ones were OK, simply not reinforced. So it was all leaning toward the Conti's from Tire Rack at $55 each when I happened to stop at Sears to order a couple of new Reinforced XZX's for the rear of my '78 for $65 each (best price going as far as I can tell). The guy mentions he has 11 of these LT195/75R14 Trailhandler A-T tires in stock, C load range LT tire and all and that they were on sale till Saturday (today) for $55 normally $62. So I go look at one, well they seemed quite nice enough, fairly aggressive but aged A-T pattern, studdable, a good bit of tread, sidewalls stiff to the feel as a reinforced, but not quite as stiff as the 6-ply bias plies at SAMS CLUB, stiffer than the last Yoko Y356 6 ply radials I looked at though. So I tell dad to go ahead and get 4 of them, he gives me cash I go to Sears. Well before having em put on I look em over once more, 1 disconcerting thing, max load is only 1435lb. Hell the unreinforced XZX's they replaced were 1450lb, my ancient reinforced XZX's spec 1540lb each. But they did have a 50psi max pressure rating so I decide, they are here, the price is right, I'll go for it. Well with lifetime balance and rotation $9.99 each, new stems all abought $10 (total) all told ended up $270. Sears did piss me in the fact I had specifically told the guy to inflate them correctly 30/44, I ended up at 36 all round, but he rectified it as I checked before I left. OHH but the result. On the way home I was amazed as ever, like I said it had be shod with unreinforced Michelins, really bad in the wind wandered like hell, steering very heavy. These tires transformed the Bus, steering light and responsive (as much as it could be) no sway, no buffeting by semis, rock solid. The rolling diameter is at least .5" bigger than my worn 185R14 spare, so although they should be smaller than a 185R14 I doubt there is any perceptible difference. Compound is sort of soft, so durability is to be seen but even with the very M+S tread pattern a very smooth quiet tire. At the moment I would reccomend them, we'll see on the wear, they had no treadlife warranty (BS usually anyway) more expensive Trailhandler APT's did, but were a bit too aggresive. Just a couple of hours ago I decided I'd forgo the XZX's for the '78 went and bought 2 of the Trailhandlers for the rear and had them put 2 of the unreinforced XZX's off the '77 on the front. I intend to run them a bit high 34 maybe to stiffen them up and keep the C-load raters in the rear at 44. We'll see how it goes, on the way back seemed a bit more wandering prone than before but not nearly as bad as the '77 had been with them all round, plus the A-T tread may help me get to the new job this winter when the Corrado dares not venture out.

John ja@coe.wvu.edu '78 Westy Virginia (finally with useable tread) '90 Corrado G60