Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 04 Nov 1995 17:22:14 -0500
From:         hseaver@csd.uwm.edu (Harmon Seaver)
Subject:      Starting Fix!

I just found a neat fix for my hard-starting '73 (w/'81 2.0L engine) which wasn't getting enough juice to the coil when cranking. It would never fire until you let OFF the key. I finally gave up looking for the problem (maybe the ignition switch is defective, but that's a bear to replace, and I'm not at all sure that's it) and decided to improvise. Or rather, my son showed me that if you hooked up a jumper from the battery to the coil, it started instantly. He suggested adding another switch on the dash to feed juice straight from the battery to the coil only during cranking. I figured that it would be more elegant to have a relay do the job, and bought a horn relay for that -- but it didn't really work since it (a) didn't seem to carry enough current, and (b) then seemed to stick on afterwards. I was trying to tap into the starter solenoid, so that the relay would only be energized during cranking. Then I discovered that there are two unused terminals on the solenoid -- one right next to the terminal for the wire from the ignition switch, which provides juice during cranking, but then becomes a ground afterwards, so you don't want that one -- but the other one is lower, below the big solenoid-to- starter terminal, and only gets hot during cranking, and then disconnects cleanly. So, I hooked a wire from that terminal to my coil. Presto -- it now pops off instantly. I've looked in my Bentley -- no mention of it, and it doesnt' show up in the wiring diagrams. Anybody got any idea what it's for?

-- Harmon Seaver hseaver@csd.uwm.edu hseaver@nyx.cs.du.edu seaverh@vaxa.cis.uwosh.edu harmon@buffett.engr.wisc.edu

All is impermanent -- and this too shall pass away.