Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 5 Nov 1995 12:24:56 -0500
From:         drew@interport.net (Derek Drew)
Subject:      Big Motor Homework/Syncro Glitch--Oettinger, etc.

We've been wondering why the South African Syncros don't use the larger Audi 2.5 litre motor that their 2WD Vanagons use and I recalled something that suggests the answer.

I remember when I used to correspond with ultra-high-end aftermarket company Oettinger (germany) that their six cylinder Vanagon motors came in a 180HP version and a 135HP version (approx. going from memory). They wouldn't install the higher HP of these two motors in any Syncro as they said the 4x4 transmission could not stand it.

:-(

(I have a 90 Syncro Westy with beautiful paint job on the outside and bashed up skidplates underneath)

Now, since *somebody* is bound to ask...

1. Oettinger is bankrupt though they still sell some parts 2. Oettinger *did* make a 6-cyl motor for Vanagons (developed on contract for VW but never put into VW production cause VW decided to cancel the Vanagon line) but the prices were out of this world. I can't remember now, but you're probably talking about $20,000 in parts alone, plus duty, plus a few other mods, (different exhaust, brain, wiring) etc., plus they wouln't sell for shipment to the USA...

...in other words FORGET ABOUT IT.

There is still a possibility, though, for us to get the parts needed to transform our Vanagon motors from 2.1 litre size to 2.5 litre size with kits that Oettinger was selling (parts only) as recently as a few years ago when I last wrote to them. I believe the kit was something like $2,000. It is common in Germany to increase the size of these motors from 2.1 litre to 2.5 litre, and Oettinger isn't the only game in town. I cannot recall who else there does this, however, without going into my files.

A question is how these 2.5 litre motors compare in torque, etc., to the Audi motors we've talked about.

I spoke to a fellow in Indiana who lived in Germany and moved here in the USA to run a Bicycle shop he owned. When his Vanagon 2.1 litre motor when bad he put it in a box and took it to Germany with him because a used motor was needed as exchange to buy a 2.5 litre motor from one of the shops other there that do this kind of work. He said he selected a different shop than Oettinger, partly cause it was cheaper, and then did the exchange. He brought the motor back into the USA on some kind of freight shipment thing and installed it in his Vanagon in Indiana. Then, about a year later, he lost interest in his vehicle and sold it to a young couple in California somewhere near San Francisco.

I begged him for the phone number of this couple and he complied to give it to me. When I spoke to them on the phone they sounded happy to talk to me about their car but didn't know much about the motor. "Did you know that you have the only Vanagon in North America with a 2.5 litre motor?" I asked.

"No," they responded. And then something to the effect of: "We *thought* it seemed peppier than our other Vanagon going up hill. That's neet." But then they related that they weren't comfortable having a van with non-standard parts and what if they needed a part that their dealer didn't have.

They said they had been very pleased with the vehicle but that for some reason (YOU GUESSED IT!) the transmission had broken down (My comment: too much power broke the Trans????????). They said they had taken it to a transmission shop which had spent so many hours on it, and such frustration, that they would refuse to ever again work on a syncro trans though they would take 2WD transmissions gladly.

end of data dump--hope you're glad to hear it --Derek

___________________________________ Derek Drew drew@interport.net (main address for e-mail) derekdrew@aol.com (alternate/backup address, checked infrequently)