Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 5 Nov 1995 14:14:43 -0600 (CST)
From:         Mark A Thomas <mthomas@tam2000.tamu.edu>
Subject:      fuel pump spacer stuck

When replacing the fuel pump on my '66 bus, I had trouble removing the plastic "intermediate flange" (Bentley), aka the "plastic block" (Muir), which I wanted to get out to replace the paper gaskets and just to clean things up. After a bit of effort it came loose, but the bottom end of the tail (that guides the push rod down into the crankcase) had broken off and was stuck down in the hole that it fits into.

I can see it down there, and it seems like its glued or welded to the metal. Because it's so inaccessible, I can't figure a good way to get it out. It's broken off flush with the metal pedestal that it fits into.

I need a huge-sized bolt extractor (easy-out) to twist down into the hole that the push rod goes through, but they don't make them that big in diameter or long enough to let it stick out tall enough for me to get a grip on it.

I thought about using a big lag screw, with jagged threads that would grip the plastic and allow me to twist it loose. But the 5/16 lag screws are too thin, and the 3/8 are too fat--I can't get the threads into the hole enough to grap the plastic. I really need something tapered, like a screw extractor.

Of course, I've got to be careful once the piece is loose that I don't drop it into the crankcase when pulling it out.

Any ideas on getting this out? Has this ever happened to anyone, or is this the first time in the history of VWs? :)

Thanks, Mark Thomas mthomas@tamu.edu