Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 6 Nov 1995 09:00:43 -0600 (CST)
From:         Gerald Skerbitz <gsker@lenti>
Subject:      humor?

>From the home page of Espen Lyngaas: (http://www.team17.com/~espen)

What can happen when you move to the U.K.

The story begins in Norway. A country well known for its fjords and high mountains, but also for its crappy cars. Not that we produce any ourselves, but the standard norwegian car would most likely not pass an M.O.T equivalent anywhere - not even in eastern Europe. Alright, so not all cars are like the one I had. I was the proud owner of a 1988 Volkswagen Transporter. Complete with 112hp injection engine and everything.

One day in june I was told that I had gotten the job at Team17, and plans where made to sell the apartement and the car. The whole apartment thing went smoothly so I'm not going to bother you with that. However problems started when the car heard that I wanted to sell it. (I strongly believe that this car did understand that I wanted to get rid of it.) Ever since I bought it it had a tendency to break something whenever I talked about it in a non-polite manner. You know - the things you say when it won't start when the norwegian cold winter has frozen the unfreezable oil, and the energy contained in the battery is slightly less than the energy brought on by a amoeba fart.

The first thing that happened was that the gasket around the cylinders started leaking water into the cylinder. A normal car would of course just leak oil out of the engine block. This water filled up the cylinders while the car was parked, and to start it, I had to remove one of the spark plugs, turn the flywheel by hand for 5 minutes to pump the water out of the cylinders, put the spark plug back on and then try to start it.

In Norway, repairs are so expencive that all attempts to fix a problem are usually made by the owner first.

Changing the cylinder gasket on one side was pretty easy. It only took me about a month. One the other side was even easier since I now knew what I was doing. However, some of the water left in the cylinder must have escaped into the oil tank, mixed with the oil, and produced something that completely lacked the properties of modern lubricants, namely to actually be a lubricant. Not more than 10 miles of driving and the piston arm came through the engine wall like a bat out of hell.

To be continued....

That's all there was, but I thought it was a decent start. -- Gerry Gerald Skerbitz <gsker@med.umn.edu> U of MN Med School Admin 6-5379 Home St. Paul,Ramsey County,Minnesota, USA