Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 6 Nov 1995 15:50:58 -0600
From:         drphibes@siu.edu (Peter DePaoli)
Subject:      eternal VW misconceptions

several weeks ago I replaced approx. $300 worth of front end parts on my '73 Super(Have a '71 Westy as well) and was in need of an alignment. I am new to my area so I asked at the local import Parts store where to get a good alignment at a reasonable price. They gave me a couple of leads. So I called one here in Carbondale, Il and what was I told? The "Alignment Man" said that for Volkwagons He charges by the hour because they are Wierd cars to work on" He also said, " They get really rusty under there" This was of course before I told him everything had been replaced new parts you know. Then he again said that VW's are just wierd to work on and he could not do it anyother way. BTW he also charged an extra $10 per hour on VW labor bills. " What the @#$%^&*," I said to my self as I simultaniously scrathed my head and hung up on this fool as he was still ranting and raving about HOW WIERD THOSE VOLKWAGONS ARE" I then wrote a letter to the owner of the place and he replied back with a letter and valuable coupons for service at any one of his locally owned shops. I did not take him up on any of these valuable coupons and sent them and his letter back to him saying that if his shop was the only one in town, I would drive to the next town. What I did ask him to contemplate is what exactly makes a car with a Macpherson strut front suspension so different than any other car? and how do volkswagons "rust more under there" than other say american cars? Just thought I'd share.:) Peace.

Peter DePaoli Carbondale,Il '71 Westy '73 Super Beetle