Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 06 Nov 95 16:31 CST
From:         EF0JPB1@mvs.cso.niu.edu
Subject:      Keeping Warm

>Start small. There are a lot of tricks to be learned. And >what worked for me might not work for you; experiment.

>-Bob

I understand your approach, Bob, and I agree with the concept behind it. This just seems like a lot of work that can't be "undone" at all (or without a lot more work). When I've considered the expanding foam approach to insulating a bus, my thoughts go back to the methodology used for packing computers and TVs. They apparently put a plastic bag in the void, fill the bag with the form and let it fill the void as it expands. Then when it's cured, the whole piece of foam is wrapped in plastic and *could* be removed as one piece--not sticking to the inside of the sheet metal.

Two problems come to mind with this approach. First, making sure the stuff stays in the bag. Second, making sure it doesn't *bow* the panels. Your advice to do small spots, move on, and come back after the first area cures does make sense.

Make no mistake, I have _not_ tried this in a bus (though I use foam in architectural applications).

I would put a bag in a cavity, fill the bottom of it with foam, and put the interior panel in place while the foam expands and cures. If the top of the bag hangs out at the top of the panel that should keep it from falling down in the cavity. If there's not *too* much foam, it should expand to fill the bottom of the cavity and cure. Once it has hardened, pull the panel off and put in more foam and repeat the procedure until the cavity is full. By the time you get to the top, a twist-tie on the bag should contain the last of the foam.

How all this would work in a *ceiling* application is more sticky unless the bus is a camper or truck with panels instead of a headliner.

What am I missing with this approach?

-Jim Bryant