Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 1 Nov 1995 16:08:17 -0300
From:         johnny89 <johnny89@io.com>
Subject:      My Halloween Nightmare (sympathy story-long)

Greetings fellow enthusiasts!

I'm new to this subscription list (long time lurker of vw newsgroup, etc.) I recently quit my job on Wall Street and moved to the wonderful world of Austin, TX for some RnR, so I aqquired myself a '71 transporter from this sweet girl I'm dating (cash on the barrelhead...never mix business with pleasure!)

Anyway, what started as a "simple brake job" has turned into a "now I have the steering column, windshield motor, air vents, front seats, fuse box, dashboard, sunroof, etc. in my garage"...

BTW--I'm not a pro mechanic, I'm just stubborn and I love VWs...

Anyway, it never really rains down here in Texas...of course, it rains once in a while. And becuase the previous owner of this bus never took care of it...I mean _never_ took care of it...I took the sunroof off some time ago when it was clear and sunny...

Like I said, it never really rains in Texas, so the sunroof thing was never a big deal. One day it drizzled for ten minutes, so I had to get out the wet/dry vac and vaccumm up the puddle in the cargo/pass area. I then took a large piece of cardboard and duct-taped it up there, just termporary like, so I could go shopping for parts, etc. It didn't rain since...and I kept telling myself to "fix the damn roof, idiot...one day it's going to rain HARD..."

Well, Halloween rolls around and the other night it had rains HARD. There was a large puddle in the cargo area and the cardboard roof patch was soaked. Not going to panic, I again got out the 3HP wet/dry vac and sucked up all the water. Unfortunately, all the rust I had treated was ruined, so I would have to prime it for real when it got dry...my biggest worry was those small holes in the floor...I didn't want water to seap into the big pan under the bus and rust it out one day...but the damage was done...

It was going to continue to rain so I looked in the garage for some plastic. As luck would have it, my wilderness-type sister had a large industrial-type tarp, which I immediately grabbed and draped over the bus... a perfect fit! I sat in the bus with the tarp on (the bus) and it was very cozy. I knew she was now safe from water damage...or was she? As I sat in there with the rain dripping all around me, I noticed the window was leaking into the door...and that the little windows in the cargo area were leaking...damn rain...

I went inside for a moment, contemplating my next repair move, and when I got back outside, the tarp had blown off the bus! Damn! I forgot to tie her down!! Quickly I got some bungee straps and some rope. Unfortunately, when I moved the tarp across the roof, a large puddle of water landed into the cargo area...with a sigh I went to the garage and got the wet/dry vac...

The bus looked nice and snug so therefore I took off to a Halloween party...thinking everything was fine... We were out until one o'clock, and returning home there was a major, I mean MAJOR thunderstorm. It was a good night to be inside, 'cause you couldn't see one foot in front of you with all the rain. Dangerous, too. And it lasted a LONG TIME. Boy, was I glad to get home...???

AAAARRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!!! The wind had blown the tarp back again! The rope I used to tie the front down had come undone (a ghoulish prankster, perhaps? I really tied that thing down, damn it!) This time, the wet/dry vac was out of the question. I think I saw a school of Cod swimming around the cargo area...anyway, it was late, it was still pouring, so I fixed the problem the best I could with another bungee cord and a towel. I don't think the towel helped very much...

I haven't gone out to look at the damage yet... I'm afraid....I'm VERY afraid!!

The moral of this story kiddies...do it right the first time!!!

Happy Haloween everybody!!

Johnny