Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 01 Nov 1995 15:48:00 -0400 (EDT)
From:         Porter_Fred%PAX9@mr.nawcad.navy.mil
Subject:      cold start/idle problems with 2.1 digifa

Hello all.........

When I start my engine after it has sat all night (ie. a cold start) it will not stay running unless I keep slight pressure on the gas pedal. It will also stall while idling at a stop light. This behavior continues until the engine has warmed up, then it runs fine.

I think this is because of a bad coolant temp sensor (sender?). Since it is bad, the default setting is for a running engine and when cold the engine requires a richer mix. Without the input from the temp sensor the engine runs as if it were warm (to lean) and stalls. I got a temp sensor (with a blue connector) from the dealer, that looks like the one in my bentley, but I cannot see it on the coolant manifold on the front left side of the engine (looking into the engine compartment from the rear).

I replaced the idle stabilizer valve in my attempts to correct the problem with not difference (it was not humming or vibrating)

-do these symptoms really indicate a bad temp sensor? -did I get the right sensor and am I just blind?

Thanks, Fred Porter '87 syncro van