Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 7 Nov 1995 13:12:25 -0600 (CST)
From:         Gerald Skerbitz <gsker@lenti>
Subject:      Re: Big Motor Homework/Syncro Glitch--Oe

Actually from William R. Kennedy, NJIT CIAT, 201-596-5648" <kennedy@admin.njit.edu>

----- Unsent message follows ----- >Date: Tue, 7 Nov 95 09:30:09 EST >From: "William R. Kennedy, NJIT CIAT, 201-596-5648" <kennedy@admin.njit.edu> X-To: mx%"porter_fred%pax9@mr.nawcad.navy.mil" >Subject: Re: Big Motor Homework/Syncro Glitch--Oe

My 81 Vgon has been Porsche-powered for two years now -- I year at 125hp (2.2l) and one year at 158hp (2.7l). Also almost 2 months at 180hp (3.0l). I haven't had any transmission trouble, and (knock wood) don't really ex- pect any. I drive very reasonably, taking advantage of the hp primarily in higher gears. I am using the stock VW clutch, so I picture that if there is to be a problem, it'll be the clutch.

With a turbo engine, or taking a party of seven out drag racing, I could foresee a problem with the stock transmission. Somewhere along the $ con- tinuum of Porsche engines, it gets smart to put the Porsche G50 5-speed in along with your 3.6liter turbo. Then you can worry about the CV joints, I guess.

B. Wm Kennedy kennedy@admin.njit.edu