Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 07 Nov 95 17:16 CST
From:         EF0JPB1@mvs.cso.niu.edu
Subject:      Horn & Backfire

>From: Douglas Stout <dstout@ELDEC.COM> >Subject: Horn & Backfire

>Also, my bus has started to backfire some. What causes a backfire?

>Any responses would be greatly appreciated.

>Thanks, >dstout@eldec.com @ @ >'65 Microbus oOO-(_)-OOo

Doug,

My first response would be BEEP!

But seriously, if you are getting good horn when you ground the wire to the column and not when you hit the button something simple is awry. This is on your '65 right? The wire that comes up through the column should fasten to the horn button with a small set screw in the middle of the button. All the button does is ground that connection to the steering column (which you confirm works). If you're not getting horn then you are getting no connection between the horn button ring and the column when you press it.

I don't have one in front of me at the moment, but the horn button is little more than a brass ring held in place by a spring and a clip if I recall correctly. One of those pieces grounds to the steering column when you press the button. Is the horn button corroded or greasy inside? Either of those might prevent conductivity. Maybe when I get home from the office I'll pull one of mine for more specifics.

As to the backfire problem, my first guess would be to check your timing and make sure your distributor is tight.

-Jim Bryant '67 Deluxe '67 Westy '67 Double Cab