Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 7 Nov 1995 21:48:56 -0300
From:         johnny89 <johnny89@io.com>
Subject:      Re: Tired of Radio Shack

>I am getting tired of high prices and limited selection of electronic >parts. Last week I needed some 18 ga grey wire. Radio Shack does not >have grey. Does anyone know of a mail order source for wire, >connectors, and other electronic parts? > >Thanks, > >John Brown >jlbrown@u.washington.edu

There are two very top rate supply houses that I have used for all of my electronic needs (non-automotive)...

1. Mouser Electronics, 800 346 6873 2. Digi Key, 800 ____ _____ (don't have number, threw out last cat, call directory)

Catalogs are free. Get both before you shop as both places have slightly different prices for the same stuff. Digi Key has more IC parts.

Both houses are top professionals and have _excellent_ service. The operators are friendly and patient. I have given both places a few thou in business-- they are worth it.

Also, for odd electronics parts and ultra cheap surplus parts, try

3. All Electronics 800 ___ _____ (don't have number, threw out last cat, call directory)

These guys have all the really cool stuff you never know what to do with... but for the hobbyist they really rock with prices and have some really good deals!

As far as connector wire goes, BTW, it is usually expensive no matter where you get it, unless you buy it in bulk. If you have a buddy who works for the phone company (yeah, sure) than perhaps said buddy could er..."borrow" a spool that's sitting around in the back of his truck someplace...

I still shop at Radio Shack now and then for emergencies.

Good luck!

J89 '71 Bus '95 Headache