Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         8 Nov 1995 09:06:35 -0800
From:         "Harvey Chao" <Harvey_Chao@smtp.svl.trw.com>
Subject:      Re: ignition switch and seat

RE>ignition switch and seat belts 11/8/95

>From: jms@ludwig.att.com I agree with Mark McCulley and Jim Davis that a new ignition switch will help with starting . . . [deleted]. . . Must of been the one that carried all the juice to the starter. Well "all the juice" in a six volt system is kinda relative.

========================== Actually, this last statement is a very critical one to understand. My interpretation of it is that John ment that "all the juice" in a minimal context. Actually, in a 6 volt system, the "juice" (which I think of as amps) is really twice that of a 12 volt system, where the wattage or power to do work like turn the starter, headlights, etc is the same. Electrical power is measured in watts. Watts are volts times amps. Therfore, for a fixed wattage, the 12 volt system will draw half the amps of a 6 volt system.

Suppose you have two identical cars, one wired for 6 volts and the other for 12 volts. Every other aspect is the same - same wattage headlights, same compression on the engine for the starter to work against, etc. The reason that they went to 12 volts from 6 was that by doubling the voltage, they could cut the current draw in half and still have the same wattage available to run lights, starters, powers, etc. By cutting the current draw in half, the size of the wires carrying the power could be made of a smaller gauge because they only had half the current to carry. This saved copper (read as weight and $ and reduced the voltage drop between battery and load due the resistance of the wire inbetween (can get serious with 100 amp starter loads in cold temps)) . Another benefit is that by reducing the current you are trying to switch on/off, you prolong the life of switch contacts -- the greater the current, the greater the arcing and the faster the contacts will wear out. A couple of major places for this are in the ignition circuit (ignition switch and distributor points) as well as arcing at any motor's brushes. Thus, in a 6 volt VW, you can expect heavier and or faster wear of any kind of electrical switching contact compared to a 12 volt system..