Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 8 Nov 1995 09:51:46 +0000
From:         "Brian Isherwood" <bci@roadrunner.circon.com>
Subject:      Re: Argh! My transmission went kaput!

I had a problem with my trans in my 84 which occured without notice. I was unable to get it into 3rd 90% of the time, even when the engine was not running. <-- This is a key diagnosis point. There is a component in the trans which is known to break, called the 'operator sleeve'. There are two, one for the 1-2 gears and one for the 3-4 gears. It is a cog gear thing with a sliding outer disc, about the diameter of a beer can. There are stress points which crack and the inner sleeve then starts to flex not letting the outer sleeve slide freely. When you apply pressure from the shifter it won't go out of gear because it's flexing rather than sliding. Sometimes you get lucky and it goes, sometimes it just breaks, kaput. In Canada the part was around $450 Cdn, and the labor is about 8-10 hours. I did the clutch while I had the thing apart so add another $150-250 for parts, plus I did some synchro rings also ($25). The other thing is the pilot bearing which some people have been having trouble with. I think it's much less to repair. Good luck.

Brian.