Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 8 Nov 1995 14:26:12 -0500
From:         David E Most <most@gibbs.oit.unc.edu>
Subject:      '78 bus for $100??

Ok, here's the deal. I've had my '79 westy since July and it has been running fine (7000 kilometers so far). A few weeks ago, I went to someone's house to check out a used clothes dryer which I didn't buy. However, a '78 bus with A.C. was parked out front without tags. I asked the people in the house about it, and they told me that this guy left it there a couple of months before. I won't go into the details of this story, but the guy who had it briefly insisted he was a mechanic and that he wasn't sure if the bus was a '73 or '75 or if it still runs. I talked to this guy a couple of times on the phone, and he sounded as f***ed up as his previous housemates had described......pretty friendly though. In the meantime, I took the horn off the '78 so my bus would pass inspection.

Anyway, I don't think I've been on this list long enough to consider owning two busses simultaneously, but it seems like a '78 would make one great spare part. I already own two cars, so I thought I should ask the list if I should seek help before I purchase a third. The actual owner lives an hour away and hasn't seen the bus for 1 1/2 years. She has the title and was wondering what had happened to it, but she only wants what she says the junkyard will give her - $100. Sending it there seems like a sad ending. Should I buy it and become personally responsible for a third vehicle?? Anybody want some parts if I get it??

david