Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 9 Nov 1995 12:59:51 -0600 (CST)
From:         "Joseph F. Fournier II" <jfourni@comp.uark.edu>
Subject:      Re: thermostat

I'm cc'ing this to the list because I can't answer all of Mitch's questions.

On Thu, 9 Nov 1995, Mitch Covington wrote:

> From me earlier: >

> > BTW, if you didn't retorque the heads at 300 miles, you might consider > > doing that if you pull the engine for a doghouse replacement. According > > to Bob Hoover, this will prevent oil leaks and improve longevity of your > > engine...and failure to return for your 300 mile head-torquing was the > > one thing that would void your warranty with VW on the air-cooleds.

> From Mitch:

> What IS a doghouse, anyway? I always associated that with the oil > cooler... guess I missed that one. I JUST put the engine in, so it has 0 > miles on it. Do you have to pull the engine to retorque the heads?

I may be using the terminology wrong. I'm referring to the part of the shrouding that goes all around the fan...that big fan housing.

Yes, you do have to pull the engine to retorque the heads...and you have to strip off a bunch of the sheet metal. I figure on setting aside a whole Saturday for the task, but I'm looking forward to getting the chance to look over my work after it's run for 300 miles...any leaks? even pin-hole leaks? Anything rattle loose? The part I don't look forward to is reinstalling it (those top bolts cost me knuckle flesh last time), though I'll probably pull the engine and tranny as a pair this time so I can get to the pilot bearing and shift linkage...and what the heck, I'll regrease and change the boots on those CV joints while I'm in there...that way, when Spring comes, I'll have a shifting, running, braking bus...still with some rust and peeling paint on the top (darn PO), some bondo and lots of primer...but I'll be ready to go camping and canoe'ing with the kids...and I'll be able to drive to Spring shows and meet some vanagon@lenti folks face-to-face 8).

> > Me earlier: > > > I would be more nervous about the welded-shut vents to the heat > > exchangers. Wouldn't that change the whole dynamics of air flow? > > I've wondered about that, but the engine runs smoothly. Do these pipes > actually vent into the intake manifold, or just abut them to provide heat > to the fuel/air mixture?

I don't know. Thinking about the way it's all connected, I'd think that some pressure/airflow is provided to the carb via the risers from the heat exchangers...or maybe that's an outlet for excess airflow from the head...or an outlet for "stackfire" pressure from the carb. Another thing to consider once you (or someone else in your case) start modifying the system design.

I'm sure other list members KNOW the answer here.

Thanks! Joe

---------------------------------------------------------- Joseph F. Fournier II <jfourni@comp.uark.edu> 501.575.7353 <a href="http://comp.uark.edu/~jfourni/"> Joe Fournier</a> ---------------------------------------------------------- | "640K ought to be enough for anybody." | egg-n-noggin | | -- Bill Gates, 1981 | \/ | ---------------------------------------- -------\/\/------