Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 09 Nov 1995 12:34:00 -0800 (PST)
From:         "Maher, Steve (SD-MS)" <SMAHER@PO2.GI.COM>
Subject:      RE: Seat Belts

>Its true that seat belts, like air bags, can cause injury.

Yes, it is. It is also true that, when you jump out of an airplane, the straps of your parachute can bruise you, cut off circulation temporarily, or even strangle you if you wear them wrong or deploy the chute wrong.

One alternative, is to not wear a parachute when jumping from a plane. But I'll keep wearing mine, thanks. Seat belts, too. :^)

>There >was a lot of net.wisdom, prior to the net, yet, that seat belt injuries >were more dangerous than what happens when you don't wear 'em, that >you'd be trapped in a burning vehicle, that it was safer to be tossed >out the window (!) etc.

These are politely known as "old wives' tales" (with apologies to the senior married ladies out there). They are 95% bunk. There are literally millions of studies, example, etc. documenting the results of belt usage vs. non-usage.

For every person who gets trapped in a car by a seat belt (as opposed to by a jammed door or whatever), there are hundreds who were saved from serious injury by belts... and thousands who had no trouble releasing the belts after a crash. For every person who gets thrown clear of a flaming/exploding vehicle and survive where they wouldn't have if NOT thrown clear, there are hundreds who are thrown UNDER an overturning vehicle, or who are bounced from front to back to side inside the vehicle and killed.

Until I can predict exactly what will happen in my next crash, I'll keep wearing the belts-- the odds are MUCH more in my favor.

Steve Maher smaher@gi.com '71 VW Transporter w/7 sets of belts -80 V6anagon-- if it doesn't have belts, it will soon