Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 09 Nov 1995 13:26:00 -0800 (PST)
From:         "Maher, Steve (SD-MS)" <SMAHER@PO2.GI.COM>
Subject:      RE: Volkswagen 'quality' /L

>this is NOT to say that a 1950's car won't last ... just that a 1990's car >goes a lot longer before the owner HAS to do something to it. the 50's car >pretty much requires some owner maintenance on a weekly basis. even the early >beetles were DESIGNED this way, i think. you were SUPPOSED to take car of your >car. today, it seems, you are not supposed to do anything. and they are >designed so that you CAN'T do anything!

Unfortunately, there is a flip side to this coin., and purchasers of used cars are getting bit. These electronic-ignition fuel-injected computer-controlled power-window toe-alignment-only cars that most manufacturers produce nowadays, are almost impossible to diagnose when they finally DO break down. And, parts costs can sometimes be incredible, in ways that 50's mechanics never dreamed of.

Had an '80 Toyota Cressida wagon, that had a noticable hesitation when started from a standing stop. Gas mileage was deteriorating, too. Checked the spark, sorta orange. Replaced plugs, cleaned ignition, no change. Replaced plug wires, no change. Coil, no change. Did the fuel injector cleaner trick three different ways, gas mileage improved slightly, then went back downhill. Air filter, fuel filter, fuel pump, no change. Costs are up around $300 so far, and zero results. Finally replaced all six fuel injectors, at $160 a pop, and it ran beautifully.

All these things were at the recommendation, one at a time, of two different Toyota dealers and an independent Toyota repair shop. Point is, even those guys had no way of diagnosing bad fuel injectors, short of replacing them and seeing what happens.

A year later, it conked out cold at an intersection, and wouldn't start to save me. Spark seemed OK, fuel OK, compression OK, battery/cranking system OK, but no varoom, or even a little chug.

Finally traced that one to a faulty "ignitor module", a little metal box that sits under the coil. Dealer item only: $300! Got a used one at a junkyard, but the car was never reliable after that.

The Cressida is a wonderful car: Powerful, quiet, smooth. But I'll never buy another used one, unless it's '79 or '78, which had a carb and a point ignition.

VW Content: How many people have ripped the fuel injection system out of their Type 3's and '75-later Type 1's, and replaced them with carbs? A LOT, and for good reason. When they crap out, they can make your life miserable, and there's no way you can diagnose those either.

"Planned obsolescence" used to refer to poorly-designed American car bodies (I should know-- I have a '66 'Stang). Now, it's moved under the hood of nearly every car on the road IMHO. These cars are wonderful when they're new, and they DO last a lot longer before you have to do serious repairs. But once you get to that stage, better buy your own garage complete with TONS of electronic diagnostic equipment-- or just throw the car in the trash can.

Thank gawd the V6anagon has a Holley and simple vacuum electronic ignition, instead of the original Chev injection and computer ignition module. I'd rather look forward to the certainty of bribing an emissions guy every two years, and a carb rebuild every four, than the uncertainty of wondering if I will abruptly lose all fuel, or spark, in Podunk Nevada, and just have to park it and walk away.

Steve Maher smaher@gi.com '71 VW Transporter '80 V6anagon, w/no attachments to hitch a horse in front