Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 01 Nov 1995 23:58:19 -0600
From:         dbax@mindspring.com (Donald Baxter)
Subject:      Re: oil light

>No they really shouldn't do this.. bad vanagon bad. The oil pressure sender >is really quite amazing on the Vanagon. It consist of two pressure switches >that must respond in the correct sequence during startup within a specified >time frame. Whew! Failing either of these parameters causes the bell and >light show.

>Althought many things can go wrong one of the most common and easiest to fix >is corrosion/loose connectors/moisure. Get some contact cleaner from say, >Radio Shark. Clean the switch's male connection and the connectors female >socket. Before reassembling apply a generous coating of silicon dielectric >paste, this will seal the moisure and oxygen out. Viola, no more corrosion. >Now Mr Vanagon can hear what the sensors are saying and all will be well.

Not quite. The Dynamic Oil Pressure sending system is only on '86 and later model year Vanagons--those of us with '85s only have only one sender, no DOP circuit board with the buzzer mounted around the inside of the speedometer.

My oil pressure light comes on at low idle. Now that I have the CO set properly, and the idle at right around 900 stabilized, the oil pressure light no longer comes on.

Apparently, the Dynamic system does solve low idle oil light flickers--my old Rabbits used to have flickering oil light problems as well--my '85 Jetta with the Dynamic system didn't have a problem with it. The circuit board with the buzzer did fail once, however, giving me buzzing noises with normal oil pressure above 2500 RPM.

Anyway--I will only worry about my oil pressure light if it comes on at some speed above idle.

Donald Baxter '85 GL