Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 1 Nov 1995 20:44:01 -0700
From:         rickgo@halcyon.com (Rick Gordon)
Subject:      80 Vanagon update

well, the verdict on the motor is that the mixture is simply too rich. I think this is compounded by the fact that the weather here has been colder and drier lately. There was a hint of this behaviour (kind of a sputtering) when I picked it up after all the head work, but it went away quickly and was not very strong. it's *real* strong now! Driving it home today while it was still kind of cold had me doing "the lurch" at one point. Pretty embarrasing!

The question is whether this is a problem caused by a simple mixture misadjustment or whether the intake air valve (aka air flow meter) got dirty or something during the engine R&R. (the rest of the FI system tests out okay.) But the air valve costs too much new (US$270) to just swap out for a test. The CO adjustment screw cover is already opened up, so *someone* was playing with the mixture at some point. Maybe someone adjusted it to compensate for the leaking heads, and now that they're fixed the thing is just too rich. I don't know. In any case, I'm hoping that the adjustment will be sufficient to lean it out to normal - since it was working fine before this head work.

btw: looking at that intake air valve, I'd say there is some level of adjustment in there - a pin is used to add tension to the coil spring, and there is another screw which allows one to alter the angle of the potentiometer contact - allowing one to change its output relative to the valve position. I'm not brave enough to change it though. Not yet at least. Any Bosch engineers on this list?

-rick

P.S. There's one nice thing about buying a new car and keeping it for years - you know everything that's been done to it. I've had my 84 Volvo for 12 years now, and while it's no showstopper I know that no other backyard mechanic has been screwing around with it.

Rick Gordon Bainbridge Island, WA, USA ------------------------------------- rickgo@halcyon.com http://www.halcyon.com/rickgo/ finger for PGP public key fingerprint -------------------------------------