Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 1 Nov 1995 08:31:54 -0800 (PST)
From:         Jeffrey Olson <jjolson@u.washington.edu>
Subject:      Engine Rebuild - story

Joesph Fournier's recitation of his experience prompted a memory of my first bus engine rebuild job.

I had been living in Bezerkley in the winter of 1974 and six months before had purchased my first car, a 1966 VW camperbus from a friend. It had a two year old rebuilt 1300 in it that wound way up. The engine had about 25,000 miles on it. It cost me $600.

I'd graduated from college the previous spring and had basically been bumming around, living hand to mouth at different jobs. I was bumming off friends and had set up my king sized heated waterbed in a drafty, oil stained garage. We decided that on March 1 we would head to Mexico and find "the essence of Mexico", which for us was a beach on the west coast with no other Americans in an unspoiled village.

A couple days before we were to leave I packed up my bed and few other belongings and headed north toward my folks house in Santa Rosa where I would store my stuff and the four of us would meet and begin our trip. As I was about to pull the hill between Petaluma and Cotati on Hwy 101, I heard this god-awful racket coming from the buses rear and immediate loss of power. My stomach clenched and I coasted to the side of the freeway.

I tried turning it over in faint hope it was minor, and was rewarded with clanking. I had the bus towed to my folks, called my friends, and we all decided to have an engine rebuilding party. I'd never come close to doing any engine work other than changing oil, timing, and adjusting the valves. One friend had had a windowbus with a ragtop he traded in for a Fiat 128SL and had rebuilt his engine once in high school.

My 88 year old grandfather was visiting from Kentucky, which made my mother work a little harder anyway. And then to have her oldest son and three of his friends descend herdlike on the house made her into a culinary/cleaning slave. Of course I didn't realize this until later when she told me.

At any rate we took over the garage, found a parts house that talked to us, and two German VW mechanics in the seedy part of town that took a liking to us, calling us affectionately, "Oh you boyz". It turned out my friend wasn't asknowledgeable as I had hoped and we visited Ziggy and Kurt numerous times over the next week.

It took us four days to get the engine out, strip it down, see the stomach bile rising consequences of throwing a rod, purchase the parts, run into numerous questions we had no answers for, hence Ziggy and Kurt and "Oh you boyz". My grandfather would come out twice a day into the garage leaning on his cane and sit in the dining room chair one of us would fetch for him. From six feet away he'd watch, ask a question once in a while, shake his head with lack of understanding, be quiet for a while just watching, ask another question, get confused again, and then nod his head and fall asleep. He'd wake up and two of us would walk him slowly, oh so slowly, back into the house and his bed for his official morning or afternoon nap.

I remember after having mated the case with the little chicken legs of rods sticking out the cylinder holes, lifting them up and dropping them. JESUS!!! They wouldn't drop. We put the case in the car and took it down to Ziggy and Kurt and they laughed and said, "Oh you boyz", and reassured us it was a "fine, tight fit", with all the appropriate leers and lewd chuckles. Whenever things got tough on the two month trip to Mexico one of us would say, "May your rods fall freely", and we'd laugh and tension would be reduced. It was the trip motto, our version of "You're either on the bus or off the bus".

Finally we got the wiring hooked up, and were ready to turn it over. We did the whole engine with solely John Muir's Idiot Book, and we had turned over the crank numerous times to distribute that oil. I got in the bus. The whole family was out. My friends stood by nervously. I turned the key. AFter a couple cranks it started right up, AND THE MOST GODAWFUL KNOCKING YOU EVER HEARD CAME OUT OF THE ENGINE. I turned it off and stared at my friends with absolute horror. Disbelief ran rampant through the crowd and Grampa looked confused. "What's wrong" he asked.

I called Ziggy and Kurt, and after some judicious quesitoning they said they thought it was the rods, that maybe we had the wrong size rod bearings on the crank. So, with grim competence we pulled the engine in 20 minutes, and an hour later had the case split and the offending crankshaft on the bench. We took it to Kurt and Ziggy and it was the rod bearings. The case had been line bored it turns out, and I was unaware of it, and didn't have someone micrometer the shell housings.

We got the correct rod bearings, and in a matter of 24 hours the engine was back in the bus. We were now experts, ready for anything mechanical to occur, steely eyed survivors a match for any emergency. "Oh you boyz" had graduated with the smooth turning over and running of into men.

The trip went fine. We found a fishing village at the mouth of a river at the border of Colima that was 20 miles from any paved road called Boca de Apiza. it now has a major road going to it.

We lost the starter in southern california and put up with that until we got to Mazatlan where we purchased another. The engine blew up 60,000 miles later and I did another rebuild, which has its own story.

Jeffrey Olson Seattle, Washington, where its sunny, warm, and the freeways clear...