Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 10 Nov 1995 08:41:26 -0800 (PST)
From:         Jeffrey Olson <jjolson@u.washington.edu>
Subject:      Re: Pulling the engine.

After reading Bob's post on pulling VW engines, and that there are two kinds of VW owners, those who have pulled their engines, and those that will, I was left with a feeling that he is right. During the ten years I owned my 66 camper with the 1300 I pulled my engine five times, four of which entailed rebuilding it. I only got 40,000 - 60,000 out of an engine. I shifted at the red line and over, both up and down. I carried lots of people lots of miles. Once I went down the east side of Tioga Pass out of Yosemite on Hwy 120 at 50 - 55 mph in third just to see if I could do it. Imagine slowly building up to it, and very slowly braking down from it, taking those wide bends a little faster than you should, listening to the engine scream a pitch never before heard. My heart was pounding in my chest and my palms were clammy. At any rate...

I think one of the main reasons I'm once again in the market for a 64 - 67 bus is because I'm relatively competent at something mechanical and technical. I don't have to think like I do now in school again, (at 43 yet!!!) But that competence was won only after facing fear and bewilderment, the frontier of pulling the engine and breaking it down, putting it together all clean and shiny, and then as Joesph Fournier has recently described, turning it over.

There are few frontiers today in our lives, frontiers that we can explore and make into our backyards that don't require some sort of training and/or previous technical knowledge. Rebuilding VW engines, older ones at least, is one such frontier. We grow up in a world that overwhelms us with its complexity and so we view everything as somehow bigger than we are. "Idiots" as John Muir pointed out, rebuild VW engines. And actually, it's better if you're an idiot.

The fear of pulling the engine has nothing to do with pulling the engine. It has to do with stepping away from civilization into an uncharted frontier. Fear of the unknown is what we feel. Rather than just reading the book and taking out the engine, step by step, we think about it, make lists, talk to friends, wake up in the middle of the night with the pressing need to get the car back on the road.

Pulling a VW engine for the first time is an opportunity to do some "life's work". Martin Heidegger made a distinction between fear and anxiety. Fear is the feeling of a threat, something coming from somewhere. Anxiety is the feeling of nothing coming from everywhere. Pulling an engine for the first time can be coping and working through fear, and discovering anxiety. For Heidegger, anxiety was the gateway we walk through towards our own authenticity. The "dread" felt just before the key is turned for the first time after a rebuild is not fear. It's the anticipation of "anything can happen", another way of saying "nothing". Rebuilding a VW engine then, can be a path to discovering this kind of anxiety. Notice I said "can be". The choice is always there...

Jeffrey Olson Seattle, Washington, where it's sunny, warm, and freeways are clear...