Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 10 Nov 95 14:40:34 EST
From:         John Anderson <ja@coe.wvu.edu>
Subject:      Re: JOIN US: Arctic Bus Trek to Inuvik, NWT, Canada

OK,

Now I'm sadly sure even now that this is primarily going to end up a west coast thing, so before that happens, since the likelihood of us east coasters having enough time to get out there, then blow 3 weeks then get back is for most of us totally impossible, I feel we need an alternative, and less we fail to get on the ball I think we should start planning alternatives now.

Personally I see 2 good alternatives.

1. We make a top O the world east coast alternative up into the Great White North on this side of the continent, don't we have some Canadians up on this side to help organize?

or

2. We make a 2 week transcontinental US run out to Vancouver then come on back, sort of a GNATT revisited for everyone who didn't or couldn't (like me) get to it last time. Plus we could also pick up people from the interior who are going on the trip as well and give them company on the way out.

Frankly I was tickled that my new job gives me a whopping 2 weeks vacation, we are not all self employed, or educators, or just generally able to spare the 1 full month this would take for us on this coast, and flying out and renting a vehicle just doesn't feel good to me, if I'm blowing my entire vacation in a Bus it will damn well be my Bus, all $400 of it.

If we can get some good interest going on this now, I'm willing to definitely help organize this time. Hell maybe we would even have a better chance of that Joel character going along, then he could be kidnapped for the main trip.

My thoughts, not intended to take anything from the well planned trip, I simply don't want to miss out again as circumstances forced me to last year and I feel a lot of other east coasters will be scared away by the time commitment as well.

John Anderson ja@coe.wvu.edu