Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 11 Nov 1995 09:07:08 -0800 (PST)
From:         "Tobin T. Copley" <tobin@freenet.vancouver.bc.ca>
Subject:      Re: East Coast Inuvik alternatives

On Fri, 10 Nov 1995, John Anderson wrote:

> Personally I see 2 good alternatives. > > 1. We make a top O the world east coast alternative up into > the Great White North on this side of the continent, don't > we have some Canadians up on this side to help organize? > > 2. We make a 2 week transcontinental US run out to Vancouver then > come on back, sort of a GNATT revisited... [can pick up interior folks, too]

I understand the problems. I don't belive there is a real far north alternative destination for those on the east coast of the continent, but I could be wrong (as usual!). I don't know of any roads to take you even as far north as the southern part of Hudson's Bay through Ontario or Quebec. (Eastern canadians: correct me?) How about Newfoundland? Always wanted to go there, supposed to be very pretty, and it's even cold! Someday, I'll get there.

Another east coast destination suggestion: Eastern Quebec out to the end of Hwy 138 on the north side of the St. Lawrence River, perhaps with a trip to Ile D'Anticosti? Or to the Gaspe Penninsula? Or to Cape Breton, NS? I think PEI would be pretty zooey in the summer. Other ideas?

As per suggestion 2: two weeks is a bit short for a coast to coast and back run, IMHO. Especially at the slower speeds I (and other bus drivers, I hear :-) ) usually drive. And ESPECIALLY considering that the really interesting stuff is off the interstates and travel is much slower on average on the secondary roads.

Tobin

------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Tobin T. Copley Only Somewhat ============= (604) 689-2660 Occupationally /_| |__||__| :| putta tobin@freenet.vancouver.bc.ca Challenged! O| | putta '-()-------()-' Circum-continental USA, Mexico, Canada 15,000 miles... '76 VW Camper! (Mango)