Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 11 Nov 1995 17:35:24 -0600 (CST)
From:         Dan Beatty <danb@sound.net>
Subject:      Re: Idler Stabilizer Control Unit (ISCU)

>I've tested my idler stabilizer valve on my 87 Westy and it has continuity, >yet it does not buzz. Checking the book, states that you should check the >ISCU. Well that's fine, but where is it? Can it go bad? > > The first time I tried to find my ISCU (Idle stabilizer), before I had a Bentley's, I didn't find it. It's located in front of the right tail light. I haven't tried it but it might be possible to reach it by removing the tail light assembly, I wouldn't recommend this approach. The better, correct?, way is to remove the plastic panel just to the right of the air cleaner. It is retained by four small metal clips. They can removed without damage by using a small 90 degree pin tool/awl to gently lift the two retaining tabs of each clip. IMPORTANT.. remove the right air intake grille, the black thing covering the ait intake <g>. There is a paper/plastic/tin foil hose attached to both the plastic panel you are trying to remove and a ,for lack of a better word, snorkle. You need to loosen the snorkle from its rubber mounts so that it and the hose can be lower as the plastic panel is removed. IMPORTANT.. failure to do this will most certainly damage the intake hose and lead to a very difficult to find power loss, been there-done that.

Now you can see the ISCU, hooray. Check the sockets/pins for corrosion/looseness. If all looks OK put some dilectric paste on the contacts, reinsert and hope for the best.. In a shop situation if the obvious tests are OK and it looks good I would install a know good unit for testing ie: do you have a friend with a similiar setup?

Good luck and while you have the panel out it would be a good time to treat the body seams to prevent/stop any rust.