Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 12 Nov 1995 13:35:01 +1300
From:         Yvonne Reineke <amst007@cantva.canterbury.ac.nz>
Subject:      Re: Insulating a bus ceiling

Bob, All, When I got my '67 bus 10 years ago it had no headliner, nothing on the ceiling. It was very loud and had all of the problems that uninsulaated steel boxes have. I ended up buying two hot water heater insulating blankets and "hung" them from the ceiling with narrow wood slatts screwed end to end across the metal bows in the roof. The blankets were just the right thickness to fill the headliner space in the ceiling. They also have a plastic cover on them which means that you are not looking at fiberglass and the plastic has held up for ten years. The wooden slats are actually very attractive, giving the ceiling almost a wooden canoe look. The wood slats can be unscrewed from the "bows" and the insulation can be pulled out for inspection, rust control. Camping at 0*F, I do notice the exposed metal bows to be cold spots. They get covered with frost. But I am happy with the amount of heat this helps hold in. In the ceiling above the driver, passenger, I glued gym mat material. This insulation job has held up well and cost less than $30 ten years ago. Of course, it is not going to give anywhere near the sound/heat insulating qualities of urethane foam, but it took only a couple hours to install and is easily removed. Gary Gibson