Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 13 Nov 1995 05:08:25 -0600
From:         Joneskp@ctrvax.vanderbilt.edu (Kathleen P. Jones)
Subject:      subscribe vanagon

I would very much like to subscribe to the Vanagon mailgroup ( Joneskp@ctrvax.Vanderbilt.edu ). I recently bought a '87 Vanagon Westy Synchro which I love without bounds. I put 5,000 miles on it in the first month I had it (Yes, five thousand.) Unfortunately my baby didn't return my love. It would mysteriously cut out momentarily (the RPMs would dive one or two thousand) producing a herky-jerky effect. This happened rarely and only at highway speeds under load, but my nightmare got progressively worse. Eventually the van of my dreams became undriveable in Cour-de-laine, Idaho, with the "problem" occuring non-stop and apparent at all speeds. My only repair option was the dealer in town. Cour-de-laine is not the VW capitol of the west. It is very popular with conservatives and retired LAPD. I will spare you the details of the horrors visited upon me. First they replaced the distributor, and charged me $500, saying the mechanic had test drove it and it was fixed. I was not able to drive it out of the parking lot. The "problem" was still there at full force. I ended up replacing the ECU (the computer) for $1000+. The problem went into remission. I knew it would soon rear its ugly head again. I could feel it. About 200 miles later toward Missoula, the van suddenly lost power going up a steep mountain grade. It lost all its power and died in first gear. I sat there dumbfounded. The beast had never done this before (and has not done it since.) I restarted the car it ran normally up and over the hill. I have not gone over such a steep pass since. The original problem has only returned a few times in the last 1000 miles and has disappered for long streches of time. I can only pray. It seems I have written much more than I expected to. You probably don't even read these letters. If you do I wonder if you can repost it to the mailgroup (I new to all this, if you can't tell.) I would love to hear from anyone who has had this problem or even cares.