Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 13 Nov 1995 12:01:05 -0800
From:         wabbott@megatest.com (William Abbott)
Subject:      70 Westie & 75 Adventurewagon @ wreckers, VW giveaways

Friends, VW Used Parts Center, 1745 Villa Stone Drive, 408 294 5210 open 10-6 Tuesday-Saturday, had two T2 campers in their front yard when I drove by today- a '70 Non-pop-top Westfalia with sink/fridge, folding table, curtains, pretty good looking orange plad interior, rear-ward facing seat instead of a stove.

The body has terminal cancer rust and the front seats are basicly worn out. No engine, but almost all the signal-lamps and so forth were present. The grab-strap to the left of the side door was broken, so I think the interior is probably original and whomever wore out the front seats did a lot of driving it, as opposed to camping, in it. Also present was a much sadder looking '75 Adventurewagon. Interior mostly gone, just the fold-down rear seat, and of course the big top. Bunch of greasy junk in the center of the floor, but the big top looked to be in good shape.

These guys normally dismantle and store everything, they have piles of heads, cases, brake drums, etc. This was where I got my air-cleaner support already cut out of a chassis... so they may well remove and store the Westy interior. Hard to say.

I've got no connection with them, I was just hoping to find some used heater boxes since the control arms for both of mine are BROKEN OFF. I thought about buying a welder and decided it was smarter ($50 verses $350) to buy a second set of heater boxes and fix mine or give them to someone deserving. I can inquire on the price for Westy interior parts when I repeat my trip tomorrow, since they're not open Mondays. :)

I called VW (1-800-444 VWUS) last week and asked for some current literature and the Jerry Garcia memorial art. I got the art, in a separate mailer that cost 'em $2.35, today. Just the cartoon splitie with the tear and Jerry's name and dates. Subtle, pretty, I'm not a big Dead head, I may give it to someone who is, or keep for my cannonical memorabilia collection. I've been listening to a lot of Bela Fleck and the Flecktones this weekend and I think are at least as good bus band as the Dreadful Grate- not trying to start a flame, just opening some alternatives. I like Jerry ok, but I worship the 'Tones. And with no lyrics, I find I can let the view out the window supply the meaning :)

Speaking of bus music, The Mermen will be playing a benefit for KFJC on Saturday, December 16, 1995, 7:00 pm, almost certainly in room F-12 of Foothill College. $10 at the door and bring four quarters for parking. I plan to be there wearing my very cool Netvernugen tee shirt. Other Bay Area bussers wanna meet for Pizza before hand? I expect the show will be broadcast as the Phil Dirt show, live, so tune to 89.7 if you want to check 'em out. Psychedelic surf music. Excellent for the more stoked bus owner/operator/mechanic/investor...

Happy motoring! Bill