Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 13 Nov 1995 21:03:39 MST
From:         "Jacob Shaun Dustin" <DUSTINO@caedm.et.byu.edu>
Subject:      Rebuild Help (1600 t2)

I'm building an engine over the weekend, and unfortunately, have to nickle and dime the job a bit. I don't want to but want and need are two different worlds. I've never built an engine with used parts before, and have a few questions if anyone has some time. Basicaly what I need to know is:

A) Will any dual pressure relief case take a double thrust cam bearing, or does it need to be specially cut for that?

B) What is the advisability of running what looks to be a good used (unground) cam? I don't want to, but I'm not sure if want has a whole lot to do with what I'm working with here. It's my only car, and my wife and I can't really afford to spring for a new cam unless absolutely neccesary.

C) Can I run that good used cam with my good used lifters?

D) I picked up a VDO oil temp. gauge at the wrecking yard last week. The output is in Celsius, but the only senders I can find are listed for gauges that read in degrees Farenheit. Anyone know if such an animal will work? To my way of thinking, it should, but I'd like to be sure.

E) Along the VDO lines, has anyone ever installed a sender in the sump plate? I know dipstick senders are available, but I don't want one unless the sump plate sender is notoriously bad news.

Thanks in advance for all your help. This is kind of a bad deal for me. I've been running a beetle short block that I picked up used this summer, figuring that the bottom end would be good enough to get me through this winter, and I could build my other block (I bought the car with a bad motor last december, and had all the macine work done on it in the spring, so at least I wasn't totaly caught with my pants down) at my leisure, getting it ready for eventual installation next summer. Sucks to be me.

For all you temp. controll fiends out there...I'm hooking up the thermostat on this one. Probably a good thing, as I've taken to liking that t3 "supercool" tin on my cylinders after living in St Louis for the past few summers. Now that I'm in the cold, cold west, however, keeping that system closed and warm to get it to operating temp sooner seems like a pretty good idea.

Thanks again.

Shaun Dustin '71 Busted Bus