Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 14 Nov 1995 08:01:41 -0800
From:         Pat.Spragge@wj.com
Subject:      Re[2]: Coolant Temp Indications

This is in response to gregor's note:

I had a similar problem with gauges on a Fiat quite awhile back; when the headlights were on and sitting at a stop, for example, the lights would dim a bit and the fuel and temp gauges would peg, then accelerating away they would drop back to normal and the lights would brighten. This went on for months and I couldn't track down the problem; checked grounds, dash pwb, everything I could think of. Then one day the car failed to start and I had it towed to my mechanic and he found that a wire inside of the distributer, a connection to the Hall sensor, had shorted and fried. He replaced the internals and cured the problem of the dimming lights and wandering gauges.

Pat s.

______________________________ Reply Separator _________________________________ Subject: Re: Coolant Temp Indications Author: Gregor Durstewitz <GDURSTEW@oimb.uoregon.edu> at INTERNET Date: 11/13/95 11:03 PM

hi Jim and Drew ! i don't doubt what you said Drew, but i've had the same gauge problem in my rabbit and i'm sure mine is completely electrical (i.e., NO overheating) because at the same time the temp gauge shows hot the fuel gauge goes up as well. never thought it serious enough to fix it, figured it's mebbe a loose ground connection in the instrument panel ??? cool on, gregor > Jim, > > > My coolant temperature indicators are intermittently screwed up. > > <snipped some more symptoms described> > > Your symptoms sound like what I was experiencing when there was a > small leak in the coolant system. > > When there is a small leak, air can get into the coolant system. > The air in the system can cause the temp gauge to read high. > > My leak was where one of the rubber coolant hoses is held on by > the orginal "spring pressure" hose clamps. I replaced the clamp > with the "screw" type hose clamp, bled the system, and the problem > never appeared again. > > Drew Jenkins 86 Syncro > djenkins@focboro.com >

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Gregor Durstewitz ============= Oregon Institute of Marine Biology /_| |__||__| :| toff University of Oregon 0| Festus | toff Charleston, OR 97420 '-()-------()-'