Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 02 Nov 1995 17:08:03 -0400 (EDT)
From:         "Skip Correll 615-757-5585 (School)" <CORRELL_SKIP@a1.cps.k12.tn.us>
Subject:      RE: A Father's Pride

Those of us with children understand. Those of us who work with kids thank you for that simple act of bonding.

Yesterday, I had in my office, a 16 year old high school junior who had cursed at a school secretary when she refused to let him use the phone. What wasn't factored into the incident was the fact that he and his 11 year old brother had spent the entire morning in Sessions Court watching their parents tear into each other trying to prove how unfit the other one was. Both boys were sent on to school while the hearing was continued.

Under no circumstances can I condone or accept what he did. We talked about anger management, walking away, getting someone to intervene, anything except cursing a lady old enough to be his grandmother who was only doing her job. He cried, oh God, did he cry; this man-child literally did not know if he had a home or a place to go. When I finally got the problem sorted out, I contacted the father, confirmed the custody order, and took him home in Da Luv Bus.

The 30 minute trip passed quickly. He was fascinated by the bus, the way it drove, shifting gears, and how "slow go" could be fun. We talked about a lot of things; by the time we got there I told him to take today to cool off and decompress. We would talk about his actions and the consequences (and whatever lessons he missed) when he returned. I made sure his Dad was there and went on my way. He knows when he comes back he is facing 3 days in school suspension (working in the school cafeteria) but he called today to apologize to the secretary, a sincere heartfelt apology that caused both of them to weep.

Your post struck a cord with me because I deal with kids who are treated well and kids who are treated with cruelty. Willow is lucky; so is her dad.

I apologize in advance for those who feel this is sentimental crap but I feel as though I'm 300 years old right now. I have worked with kids for the past 28 years; some who succeeded because of their background and many who succeeded in spite of it. But it's some of the failures that concern me. I've often wondered if a simple act of parental kindness could have made a difference.

The VW thread? On the way home from the student's house, Da Luv Bus' fuel pump went out on one of the busiest streets in this area. I lost a lot of gas, blocked traffic, and was loudly cursed by Chrysler crapmobile drivers. My son (16 and a newly licensed Thing driver) finally arrived with the truck and tow bar so I got it home about midnight where it will sit till this weekend when I have time to fix it.

Thanks for letting me vent.