Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 21 Nov 1995 16:24:42 -0800
From:         wabbott@megatest.com (William Abbott)
Subject:      degreased the heaterboxes, etc.

I did get out the scrubbing brushes and hand-cleaner and did a pretty-good degrease of the apron tin and air-cleaner stand for my pickup, and the set of junk-yard heat-exchangers I bought. After washing them I plugged one exhaust outlet with my hand and blew into the other- they hold pressure, at least by that crude measure.

Both of the 'new' exchangers have heater-flaps in good condition, so the trick is now to figure out how to do a transplant, ideally without disassembling the old exchangers which are already bolted to the engine and the rest of the exhaust system. Now that I've got nice clean, rusty, new ones, I can put 'em on the bench and figure out how to pry the flap mechanism apart for transplant.

Other alternative is to pry-out the old exchanger's flaps and have someone fabricate replacement arms for 'em, using the new one's a guides. That might be a good idea, actually.

The under-cylinder-tin came with the exchangers, and was so gross and oily and beat-up I didn't even try to clean it up and dump it into metal recycling. It went to the landfill this morning, and is Officially Not My Problem.

I remain convinced that Gojo orange hand-cleaner, a stiff brush and running water are the superior de-greasing setup.

Bill