Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 5 Nov 1995 11:56:30 -0700
From:         mwagner@deltanet.com (Michael Wagner)
Subject:      minor shakedown cruise

The '76 Campmobile has been a reliable daily driver (50 miles roundtrip to and from downtown San Diego) for several months, and yesterday Diane and I loaded it up will all manner of baby items for an overnight stay at my parent's house in Newport Beach.

I was reasonably confident I could patch it back together and make it home if it broke down in San Diego and I was on my own, but had a hope-I'm-not- biting-off-more-than-I-can-chew feeling setting out from home with Diane and Flynn aboard.

Acceleration was noticeably impaired by the full load, but cruising speed (60mph) was not a problem and the new front wheels and rear CV work provided stable handling. Oil temperature rose to about 210F and stayed there, except for some hills taken in Mission Viejo for a sidetrip to Diane's parent's house.

No additional oil was needed this morning, our 16 old month alarm clock had us on the road on time (early!). We took Pacific Coast Highway down from Newport through Corona del Mar, "Newport Coast", Emerald Bay, Laguna Beach, Dana Point, Capistrano Beach and San Clemente, the sun appearing and vanishing in patches of fog, streets empty except for a few cars limosines (saw four limosines this morning!).

Drove through some of my old neighborhoods in San Clemente to show to Diane and Flynn, who were riding on the bench seat in back. Felt confident enough to drive down the last hill on Trafalgar Street (T Street) in San Clemente, a favorite body surfing spot. Looked at the ocean then cheered as the Campmobile climbed back up the hill. The freeway is the only route south from San Clemente, so we cruised down to Oceanside and stopped for gasoline and breakfast, Flynn mowed down his pancake and charmed the waitresses.

We proceeded on home, were passed by a mid-70s Westfalia who was in a BIG hurry, didn't know you could push a Westy that hard, he was flying down the road. Knew I was getting close as more and more red cars appeared driving 70+mph... real concentration of red car drivers in San Diego.

Stopped at the market for milk and baby wipes, drove on home, put the top up for laughs, unloaded the groceries and played with the baby in the Campmobile for a while. Pleased and somewhat surprised that the Campmobile took us there and back again without any fuss at all.