Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 6 Nov 95 17:28:42 GMT-28871216:51
From:         jag@cs.rochester.edu
Subject:      Re: Keeping Warm

Bob, thanks for the detailed elaboration on heat conservation in the Bus. I had originally planned on doing my bus with fiberglass and styrofoam, however the spray-on uretane foam you talk about appeals to me. A few questions?

Were do you get the chemicals needed in bus suitable quantities? I know where to buy the 10 oz spray can size (Great Stuff), but at 4.99 a bottle that would be prohibitive. I've also heard that there are contractors who insulate houses this way, but again, I believe they use expensive equipment to inject or spray on the foam. Are there any other sources of this kind of foam?

How do you do the front doors? I see two problems in the vanagon: The sheet metal on the inside obstructs access, so it might be tricky to spray the foam on evenly. Another approach might be to fill the whole cavity and try to cut out room for the locks and window mechanism. The other problem i fear is water getting caught between the insulation and the sheet metal, causing rust. This could happen if there were voids or cracks in the insulation, or if the foam is not sufficiently impermeable to water vapor.

Otherwise the urethane foam idea sounded great. Should be much better than the fiberglass approach.

Another note. It would be great if we could collect some data here on the list on the effectiveness of different insulation methods. My suggestion to the listmembers who are insulating their busses is: Measure the bus heat loss before and after insulation has been put in by putting an electric heater in the bus. Run the heater until thermal equilibrium is reached, and measure the temperature difference inside and outside the bus. The experiment would be most accurate in a garage, where the outside temperature can be kept fixed.

Knowledge of the temperature difference and the wattage of the heater allows one to calculate the heat loss.

/Martin