Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 7 Nov 95 11:41:27 PST
From:         Dave Kautz <dkautz@hpsidms1.sid.hp.com>
Subject:      Re: visit to GEX

Many thanks to David Schwarze for reporting on his trip to GEX. His observations are troubling, to say the least.

I took a tour of AVP in Sacramento, CA last spring when I went up there to pick up my rebuilt long block. A friend of mine who used to work as an auto mechanic <he's a pilot for United now, go figure...> went with me as my "technical expert"

I didn't make much of a report to the list on this since it was the only rebuilding shop I had ever seen and I didn't feel knowledgable on the subject, but it may be more appropriate now in the context of David's observations of GEX.

AVP is run by a husband & wife team, Leonard and Erin. They have several employees, at least one of whom has a german accent. Leonard is a "factory trained" VW mechanic and worked at a dealer during the '60s. I have to admit our first impression of the business was a little sceptical, the front of the operation is a two bay service garage, with an office and parts counter attached. THEN, we were taken back into the shops. The service portion, is just the end of the building, the rebuilding operation is much larger. The shops are clean and well lit. The workbenches where Leonard was showing us how the cylinder heads are re-done have rolls of paper mounted underneath which are fed up to the worksurface. Before placing a cylinder head on the work bench, a clean piece of paper was pulled out. The welding area was very interesting. In addition to a very substantial TIG welder, there was also an oven. Leonard <who does the welding himself> claims that the parts must be preheated before welding for good results. A system of high temperature "crayons" <for lack of a better word> is used to determine the temperature of the part. Different colors melt at different specific temperatures. The oven is also used to pre-heat the heads to operating temperature before the valve seats are installed. The most impressive welding is what is done on the wasserboxer heads! I couldn't believe how corroded these heads were on the surface where they contact the rubber gasket. They grind out all the corrosion and then build the head back up with welding rod. The head is subsequently re-machined flat and looks like new. They also grind out, weld and reshape an area near the spark plugs which he says in prone to cracking. After seeing the wasserboxer repairs, the welding on the air-cooled head looked "small time". The take out the valve seats, grind out the cracks, weld it all up and then re-machine. I only saw a few completed heads, but on those there was no visible evidence in the combustion chambers that welding had been done. The surfaces were very uniform.

The valve seats come from a domestic manufacturer. Leonard claims that he and Mark Stephens get their seats from the same outfit, but that they are not the same parts. The intake seat is made from hardened chrome-moly steel and the exhaust seat is made from hardened tool steel. The Stephens parts have an extra radius on the combustion side where he peens the head over. Leonard doesn't think this is a good idea since it reduces the area on the seat subject to the shrink fit.

The machining done on the heads <valve seat pockets, etc,> is done in fixtures attached to Bridgport milling machines, of which there are several. I was hoping to see a huge press used to drive the valve seats in, but this was not the case. They use a substantial fixture to support the head <it's HOT, remember>, the seat is placed on the end of a mandrel and the mandrel is beaten with a large hammer. After the seats are installed, the head goes back in the oven and is cooled gradually back to room temperature. Valve guides are silicon bronze and the valves are TRW. That didn't mean much to me, but my friend asked several questions about what brand of parts were used in various applications.

There were other machining stations, the function of which I didn't under- stand as well. Align-boring is done with a long cyindrical device that appear to pilot off the case being machined. Flywheels are re-faced. AVP does not re-grind the camshafts or lifters in house. Apparently, the equipment to do this correctly is quite expensive.

Dirty core parts are hot-tanked and bead blasted in a far corner of the shop. The assembly area, with the aforementioned paper covered workbenches is a seperate room. There is a clear intention in the shop layout to seperate dirty processes from clean.

Also impressive, but less important was the collection of core parts. I've never seen so many cylinder heads in one place. Huge bins of wasserboxer heads, huge bins of type IV heads, all seperated by type and part number. <Did you know there are several versions of the wasserboxer head?>. They have another warehouse which we didn't see where they store engine cases, crankshafts, flywheels, etc.. I asked about the supply of cores. Good used type I cases and 215 mm flywheels for 74-75 buses are the scarce items. Leonard was more interested in the flywheel I brought with my old engine <a 215> than any other part.

The engine testing equipment was interesting. They have device they built themselves on to which the engine is installed and then rotated by a large electric motor. This allows them to bring up the oil pressure gently, without running the engine under it's own power. They use this same device for the compression check. It wasn't clear to me whether this machine was only used for air-cooled engines or whether they also checked water-cooleds on it too <AVP rebuilds both gas and diesel rabbit/ golf engines too>. In the room with the milling machines they have the engine dynamometer, we didn't get to see it operate though.

On the more subjective side, I was impressed by both Leonard and Erin's character. They struck me as honest people who take pride in what they do. They spoke enthusiasticly and supportively of their employees, I think they understand the value of good people in providing a good product. And they can't be all bad since they drive a Vanagon, right?

On the objective side, the engine I bought from them in May has about 4000 miles on it now. I have performed the maintenance per the warranty agreement which included oil changes, valve adjustment and ignition timing checks at 300 and 1000 miles. AVP installs a little "heat button" on the engine case which, if you melt it, voids your warranty. Mine is still intact, despite having driven up the mountain to Wailaki from Shelter Cove in August carrying the 5 Kautzes, Zoe the dog AND Bradley AND Swiss Al <Hubbard>! The engine is running strong, quiet, valve clearances holding steady and it is leaking oil only from the pivot of the el cheapo Brazilian fuel pump that I put on.

During the install of the motor. I found that my clutch wouldn't fit the flywheel. My rebuilt had come with a 210mm flywheel, although we had discussed this both on the phone and again when I turned in the core. AVP sent me the correct one, it arrived the next day, asking only that I return the wrong one freight collect. They included a new lockring for the bolts which I would have otherwise overlooked. I'm convinced now that it was a genuine mistake since when I removed the offending flywheel I saw that it had been mis-marked as a 215 on the back side.

All in all I'm a happy customer for now. We'll just have to wait and see how long this engine lasts.

Dave