Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 7 Nov 1995 18:29:16 -0600
From:         yug@wwa.com (Jon Kostal,Sr.)
Subject:      generator

The way I was taught to test generators per VWoA training center c.1972-disconnect wires from the generator. Ground the field terminal. Put positive lead of voltmeter on the positive terminal of the generator(larger wire). Ground the negative of the voltmeter. Run the car. If the generator is working, you will get as much as 30v out of the generator. Grounding the field causes the generator to put out all it's got. Don't run it for long this way,though. If the generator passed this test, we replaced the regulator.Added note:some guys polarized the generators, others did not(replacement rebuilds from VWoA). It didn't seem to matter. I guess it depends on the magnetism of the filed coils. I always did it when I made a repair. To do this, you ground the field of the generator, and add 12v to the + terminal(fan belt off,silly)and the generator turns as a motor. A few seconds is all that is needed. Also make sure you ground strap from the trans to the body is good. This can cause a good guy to go crazy working half a day trying to fix a mystery problem(I've seen it happen).

Have fun, yug