Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 9 Nov 1995 00:22:29 -0700
From:         rickgo@halcyon.com (Rick Gordon)
Subject:      local VWs for sale; auto show

Bremerton paper had an ad under RV's tonight:

'77 Westfalia, recent new motor, sleeps 4, exc. $2950 360-692-8357

Bainbridge paper had the following ad:

'83 VW Vanagon camper, 5 spd, good cond, stereo, sink, refrig, Z-bed, 95K miles, $2850/obo 206-842-9588

On a related note, I stopped by the Puget Sound Auto Show tonight. Got to crawl around inside the EV camper, and talk to someone there who *seemed* to know something. That camper is certainly nice.

Dealer rep there claimed that: - the Sharan is not going to be brought into the US - we have too many minivans already; - VW-USA and VW-AG are in the midst of negotiations regarding the use of the VR6 in the EV. He claimed that VW-AG wants them to charge several thousand $ more, since they always do when they put in the VR6. But that VW-USA feels that the EV price is already high for the American market. He claimed that this decision will be made by Feb '96, in which case we'd starting seeing the new engines sometime in the summer. - VW continues to send EV Westfalia's to Canada, but they're much more money. (Anyone know what they're asking up there?) - VW-USA will continue to import and sell the EV camper for '96 year regardless of which engine is in it.

Now, I don't know the truth value of any of the above. It could have been all BS. I got a nice, plastic VW key fob though! And a disk containing a Web browser from Spry, but it's only for Windoze so I'll have to fire that machine up later and see what they put on it.

oh, and related to the auto show: those Hummer's they have make the Synchro's look like toys. I also peeked inside some other van conversions - bzzzztt! lame! Land Rover Defender 90 looks like a fun vehicle to beat up;

I haven't really been following new car prices that closely lately, it was pretty depressing! Although many of the makers have your 'basic transportation' cars available for under $12K, most of the vehicles are closer to $20K (even pickup trucks), the "sport utility' ones start at $25K and go up pretty rapidly. (What does one do with a $50K Range Rover anyway? I'd hate to take it on gravel roads - worried that it would scratch the paint or something.)

Given these prices, the $28-30K they're asking for the EV camper isn't all that unreasonable. It's still pretty damn expensive though. It would also seem that, given these prices, it is quite worthwhile to dump a few hundred $$ into your old VW occasionally - it beats making those monthly payments!

-rick

Rick Gordon Bainbridge Island, WA, USA ------------------------------------- rickgo@halcyon.com http://www.halcyon.com/rickgo/ finger for PGP public key fingerprint -------------------------------------