Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 9 Nov 1995 11:39:09 -0800
From:         wabbott@megatest.com (William Abbott)
Subject:      Seat Belts, heater cores

Seat belts were *options* for some period of time, so a new car might or might not have them, a PO might install them later, etc. My families 63 Plymouth Valiant had front belts, no rears, and our 68 Bus (Non-walk-through I think I remember...) had belts on all 9 seats. Yes, it must have been a 9 passenger, it had the fold-down seat back on the middle seat by the door.

Its true that seat belts, like air bags, can cause injury. There was a lot of net.wisdom, prior to the net, yet, that seat belt injuries were more dangerous than what happens when you don't wear 'em, that you'd be trapped in a burning vehicle, that it was safer to be tossed out the window (!) etc. My late wife, a pretty rational person, would not wear belts, claiming (no doubt accurately) that an aunt had gotten various internal injuries. Her family's 62 Triumph Herald and 63 Dodge Dart (her car when we met) both had belts on all seats, so go figure...

There was a VW recall for Golf II / Jetta II heater cores- ours failed, we paid for a replacement (long out of waranty) and the replacement was in turn replaced in the recall. Can't remember if I got a refund on the first replacement too, I think I did. There was a class-action lawsuit based on the theory that a catastrophic failure could dump 230 degree coolant on your feet. All we had was an annoying leak- smelled like curry, steamed up the window if you selected defrost and heat... drove without a heater for a year and a half before fixing it. Ask your dealer, I guess.

Bill