Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 10 Nov 1995 10:32:25 -0500 (EST)
From:         Mitch Covington <mitch@geomag.gly.fsu.edu>
Subject:      Thermostat & why (not?)

Bob Hoover writes: > > Mitch, > > Do it. > > The thing will run without it, the better the climate, the better it will > run. And if you're running a full-flow oil filter the main bearings will > last about as long. But that's it; that's the limit of the 'benefits' you'll > receive from re-designing the Volkswagen engine, because that's what you've > done; you've told generations of superbly qualified engineers to stick it in > their ear, that you know a better way to do it. Unfortunately, without the

Bob, I think you totally misunderstood my atitude about this. I realize that it SHOULD be there, I WANT it there, I'm not redesigning anything, and don't in any shape, form, or fashion claim to know more than even a shitty mechanic or engineer about this. BUT 1) the engine is in. 2) I live in a warm climate. 3) I don't have the hardware 4) I don't have the luxury of the image in my mind of removing the thermostat. 5) I've been working on this engine for several months and need to get it on the road, get the garage cleaned up, and move to another house. 6) There are a few other very needy jobs to be done on this bus.

As you mentioned in another post just today, we must pull the engine out for many reasons, and fairly occasionally.

So, my dilemma, is:

Take the engine out now, go through the hassle of getting all the parts (and with the suppliers I've dealt with so far, this IS a hassle), figure out how to install it, etc. etc.

OR

Wait until the next time I need to pull the engine, have more time and less pressure, and do a good job?

A real mechanic, of course, would not be in this position in the first place. But I am (in this position, NOT a real mechanic) and want the most practical solution, all things considered.

> thermostat your jugs will wear like a bitch, as will your valve guides; > you'll burn more gas, suck a lot of oil and have a hell of a time passing > your smog check. Of course, all the experts in the VW-specific rags say no > thermostat is a wizard idea, along with blue coils and yellow wires > itty-bitty fan pulleys and all the other bitchin' tricks that made them rich > and famous as builders of fine automobiles. What? Oh. Well, then make them > famous as builders of winning racers. What? Gee... you mean all they do is > TALK about it? Ummmmm.....

The last thing I'll be doing with this bus is racing!

> Put the thermostat back in. To a real mechanic, anyone who builds an engine > without a proper cooling system -- and that includes a thermostat and > air-vanes -- is like a guy going around with his fly unzipped.

One day at the office, my pants split up the back (fortunately I was wearing underwear that day!). I didn't go home to change, that would have taken too long. Instead I endured the snickers, used a safety-pin, and had the pants fixed right when it was practical to do so.

> Here's how to do it.

[ snipped, saved, printed and filed in the Hoover Memorial Archive]

> The bottom line is that your engine warms up faster, idles better, runs > sweeter and lasts longer. > > On the other hand, you may wish to leave it off and make your personal style > statement to the VW world :-)

Hey, I'm not a statement-making kinda guy. I like to be as practical as possilbe. If the thermostat is important enough that the lack of it will damage my engine in the next 20-30k miles, I'll pull it and fix it. If it can wait until then without appreciable damage, it would be best, all things considered, to wait.

You've helped me a lot on this whole rebuilding project, and I hope I don't seem ungrateful by this post. I just feel like you misunderstood my position and attitude. I'm not the know-better-than-the-engineers guy you put on me with this message! :-)

Thanks as always,

Mitch