Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 19 Dec 1995 11:46:10 -0600
From:         drphibes@siu.edu (Peter DePaoli)
Subject:      3 feet and as many hands

This is along the lines of "wierd Bus behavior," on returning from Hebron,Ohio in the summer of '92, we stopped at a rest stop just east of the ohio border. we have lunch, and go to depart and what?!? no start, quickly diagnosed by myself as the starter motor either hot/or went south. so we get a bunch of people to help us push start the old '71 Westy. We're going along fine and then some traffic so I start braking ,but now she wants to die, not only literally (being that the brakes are 1 pump then good) but the engine wanted to quit in a big way. so I'm pumping the brake, clutching, and trying to feather the gas pedal all at the same time. Waht next? well now the brake pedal (possibly because its about 90 F outside) starts to stick in its depressed position, so thinking on my feet, I tell my wife to fetch a piece of string from somewhere in the Bus. I guess you could say we did'nt want the Bus to stall. So she finds it and then we tie it to the brake pedal and its sole purpose is to pull tthe brake pedal up from its stuck positon after I use the brakes. It works! so I tie it around the thumb and index finger of my right hand with just enough slack so as i can still reach the shifter lever. What with all the regalia and three footing her and all it starts to wear on my nerves a bit. So we stop for gas, yes she stalls Uh Oh we'll have to push start again?!? indeed. the gas station is on a hill so cool hop in neutral coast, then clutch in, second gear dump the clutch, and Yes she starts right up, but &^%$# still wants to stall again. I made my "Whats become loose back here test of the engine compartment," and eevrything checked out OK. So to make things worse we're almost home to ILLinois, and the worst thunder storm of the season is in full swing with winds of over 60 MPH. We're driving still with the three feet and stringed braked pedal around my finger, then the winds come rolling over the stone quarry along I 80/94/294 in IL. The interstate goes right over this huge quarry. Been There? well the wind is blowing us from lane to lane I'm quite serious. and the roof of the westy is banging like you would if you had to go to the bathroom bad and it was locked with =noone on the other side of the dorr. Ok. , but one good thing is happened now everyone sees whats happening and gives me lots of room. Some may have pulled off the road, but this was my Ididerod (sp?). We get home and me, my wife and our traveling companion are all nervous wrecks. We all go in for a cocktail and then leater I decide to go out and find out whats up with Natasha ('71 Westy). Well she stars right up, with the key, no push start, and then she purrs k=like a kitten for a few minutes and then stalls. i go troublshooting and then I noticed plain as day that the idle sloenoid an the old 34 Pict had backed out and there was big vacuum leak so I tightened it up and yes the starter motor was bad so I replaced that and the brake pedal well that kind of fixed itself. So the moral of the story is always bring a friend on the VW trip with you in case you need more feet or hands. Or... Was this really some kind of night terror?

Peter DePaoli '69 Panel Camper '71 Westy (parts anybody) '73 Super Beetle a chevy 2bikes, 2 cats, 2birds, 2 dogs and a story