Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 13 Dec 1995 16:51:19 -0500
From:         "David Easterwood" <deasterw@st6000.sct.edu>
Subject:      VW U-Boat (LONG)

Everybody put on your hip-waders, here's my deep water story:

Last January I went camping with some friends in the Blue Ridge Mountains of north Georgia. The spot we were camping in required us to cross Jack's River twice. Not a problem as normally the river is only 10-12 inches deep at the crossings.

A friend was in his Toyota Landcruiser & I was in my 73 Westy, with everyone else in "regular" cars. So they all piled in with us at the first crossing to get to the campsite.

The second night it began raining really hard. About 3:00am we decided to hike down to the river to see if it was rising. It was at about 18 inches so we were not all that concerned. The next morning it was just barely sprinkling rain when we went to check the water level. This time the water was cresting at 24 inches, so we were a bit anxious.

We went back to camp and after lunch it stopped raining. So after trekking back down to the river we were pleased to find it was back down to 18 inches. Should be back to normal level by late afternoon.

This is where faulty reasoning got us into trouble. We should have left right then. Nobody 'hipped' us to the fact that the run off from higher up in the mountains had yet to reach us. About an hour and a half from dark we headed out for home. When we got to the river it was chest deep.

We all had to work the next day so we took the vehicles back to higher ground and began packing out on the 2 hour hike back to where the cars were parked at the first crossing.

Fast forward 4 days to the night we went to pick the cars up. Even though it had not rained in the last 2 days the water was still over 2 feet deep. We decided to go for it any way and hiked in. When we got to the second crossing we were confronted with a tree that had fallen at the crossing. The next hour and a half were spent hacking through the tree with a hand ax my friend had in his Landcruiser while we were in knee deep cold river water. We then used a chain with the Toyota to pull it out of the way.

This crossing is only about 15 feet wide and was anti-climatic. The other crossing however is 40 feet wide and was a different story. My heart sank as the Landcruiser in 4WD went across ahead of me and water went over the rear bumper and into the tailgate. He stopped on the other side and asked me if I thought I could make it. I told him I wanted to let my engine cool off for 20 minutes before I tried. I knew this would absolutely be pushing the limits of the Westy.

I told him to get his rope ready I was coming through. I decided slow and steady would be my best chance of limiting the water splashing into the engine compartment, so I put it in first and was on my way. Before I got midway my headlights we submerged and I was navigating by the Toyota's tailights. As I heard the glug-glug of the exhaust system underwater I began to think I was actually going to make it. Then my luck started giving out.

The engine began sputtering and finally died about 8 feet from the other side. With water beginning to come in under the sliding door I quickly put it in first, released the clutch and climbed out the rest of the way slowly using the starter.

Well, almost all the way... The silt deposited on the bank was so slick he had to pull me to firmer soil. After 15 minutes of WD40 and drying the distibutor out it cranked right up.

Stopped at the first town, changed my oil and headed home.

It really is amazing how these vehicles can go where you wouldn't think they could. If I'd seen it on TV, I never would have believed it.

Dave