Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 03 Dec 1995 07:31:12 -0400 (EDT)
From:         RGOLEN@umassd.edu
Subject:      Re: Update the database

Rick,

Congrats and welcome to the EV fold!

Here are some quick responses to some of your questions:

Break-In period. I took it easy on our EV for the first 1500 miles or so. Drove it at medium RPMs, varying the engine speed of course... but stayed under 65 on the highway.

At 1500 miles I dumped the original oil and replaced it with Mobil1 15w50. I did the same proceedure with my 86 GTI and it has 220k miles on it now...and at 150k miles I pulled the head to check the cylinder wear...not even a ridge!!!

I would NOT go the non-detergent route. First off, VW and all other mfgs. recommend the use of "modern" oils...you know the ones with those letter designations...secondly, if you take it easy on the engine for the first 1500 miles or so, there is no need for the extra "friction" of a non-detergent oil for break in.

Scotchguard. YES...do it! I used three cans of the stuff on our MV. It took a day or so to get the smell out of the van...but it now has three years of spills, baby discharge, etc ... all of which clean up with a damp cloth.

If you have any other questions...let me know.

Ric