Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 16 Dec 1995 21:03:57 -0600 (CST)
From:         Richard Kurtz <rmk@sky.net>
Subject:      Today's One for the Books

Today has been one for the record books for me. In my fleet of air-cooled VWs, three were in running order this morning. By afternoon none of the three were running and the Bug was parked three miles away, with an undetermined problem.

But I am getting ahead of myself.

Today I decided would be a good day to drop the engine in the 71 Westy to see if I could cure the slow oil leak that appears to be coming from around the dog-house oil-cooler. Weather was supposed to be clear with a high around fifty. I got an early start and fought the engine out of the Bus. This is the first time I have dropped this engine and I discovered it had all four bolts/nuts holding it to the transaxle. This was good, I thought, the PO was through. I started tearing down the 1600 DP to see if I could find the leak.

About noon my wife left in the 70 Bus to run errands. She was back in a half hour with the news, "The clutch is out". I looked to see if it was a broken cable, and it isn't. Another engine to drop. I decided to finish the first project so I could get it out of the way to work on the next Bus in the same spot. My garage has flourescent lights and one fixture cuts out so I asked my wife to go and get some new bulbs. At this time we were down to the Bug running.

I a little while my wife calls with the news. "The Bug is dead, what do I do now?". She caught a ride home.

I went and hid for a while hoping things would improve but they didn't so I went back to work.

One of my daughters who drives a H20 pumper came by and I caught a ride to Bug to see if I could get it home. Tightened the battery cable and brought it right home.

I then went back to work on the Westy. Tore it down to a long block and can't see the source of the oil. Cleaned it up and put the tin in solvent to soak overnight.

Tomorrow I'll reassemble the motor and bench run it to see if I can see the source of the leak.

Hopefully I can get it back together and the other Bus fixed before sundown tomorrow. The next winter storm is due tomorrow night.

I hope I can report tomorrow that all three air-cooled drivers are back on the road.

Richard Curator of the "Bob Hoover Sermons" Web Pages. http://www.sky.net/~rmk/hoover/ rmk@sky.net