Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 16 Dec 1995 21:51:12 -0600 (CST)
From:         dakhlia@wuecona.wustl.edu (Sami Dakhlia)
Subject:      clunking noise is baaack!

If it isn't one thing, it's another.

The loud, klunking, hollow, grinding/cracking noise is back. It's proportional to speed and especially frightening and loud under both acceleration and deceleration. It sounds very painful.

A similar noise haunted us last June, thousands of miles ago and I already bothered the list once. Back then, the oddities were that the loud noise appeared pretty suddenly and disappeared just as abruptly for another 1000 miles. Hitting the brakes hard made it come back; lifting the back of the van made it go away. I assume it's the same problem now and then, but I don't know for sure.

The guesses back then were "probably a CV joint," and if not that, "perhaps a wheel bearing." Even the drum brakes were suspected, but I couldn't find anything wrong with those. Hence, I now suspect a CV joint and plan to replace both pairs with rebuilt units. However, enjoying the luxury of access to the list, I would like to ask for second guesses and opinions. For example, is there an easy way to determine the problem *before* I take things apart? If not, would it be easier to first check/exchange the wheel bearings?

Merci d'avance!

-- Sami ('75 Westf.) dakhlia@wuecona.wustl.edu http://wuecon.wustl.edu/~samid/