Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 18 Dec 1995 11:47:33 -0500
From:         drew@interport.net (Derek Drew)
Subject:      Class III Hitches; Skid Plates

Fred,

Well, now that dennis is online you can ask him directly about collaborating on the Class III hitches he makes. As mentioned earlier his email address right now seems to be dhaynes57@aol.com though he's just learning all this stuff so you may not get a response. Also, I think he mentioned to me that he had sold about 30 of the hitches so far.

You could also call him on the phone to discuss.

Now, just thinking about it, I figure that if he has made 30 of these hitches up so far then he has manufacturing down fairly well and may or may not want to change things. But the problem with his hitches is that the receiver hangs down from the big cross piece assembly. In this position, it destroy's the vehicle's departure angle, meaning that the vehicle will scrape the receiver hitch when going over obstacles.

I have spoken to dennis about making a redesigned hitch where the receiver hole would either be *in* the big cross piece assembly or welded on above it. Particularly in the latter case, the receiver hole would obligate the Vanagon owner to trim away part of the bumper to make a space for the receiver hole, but in my view, this is a small price to pay for this setup and makes for a much superior hitch.

The problem is that Dennis is busy with other things and hasn't devoted the time to desiging the improved departure angle hitch. It seems like I can give him orders for five of these so perhaps this would change his mind about the effort involved but I don't know.

Another option, if Dennis drags his feet on this or can't get to it, would be for you to obtain one of his hitches and design the improved hitch yourself working off his original design. I wonder if our west coast owners would save UPS charges by getting the hitches from Alaska as opposed to Long Island, New York.

To order one of Dennis' hitches in their current configuration try calling him at his home 516-563-8248.

Derek

The forgoing is a note from me to Fred in Alaska who has access to manufacturing facilities to make Class III hitches for the Vanagon. He is interested in working off your design and working out some kind of deal with you. He'll likely write to you directly or you can write to him at fffdd@aurora.alaska.edu. ============================================================================ ======================

>Derek: > >Received the Tecnical Recommendation Manual. Thanks much, I'll look at >getting started after the X-mas break. > >Still have a problem with determining the value of the spare tire plate - >on my '84 the spare is almost completely protected as it comes from the >factory, hard to justify the additional plate. Let me know on this one.

Well, my spare tire plate is pretty bashed up and I'd like the option to be able to bash it harder still. But you are right, it seems like a lot of work for the benefit. But still, I would install something like this if I had it.

How about the coolent pipes cover and the jackpoint skidplaes? Tim Smith was going to make a coolent pipe cover for me but I haven't heard from him about this lately.

>Also, I have a friend who just purchased an '86 Syncro Weekender (for >$3,200 here in Fairbanks - not a scratch, dent, or uphostery rip. Runs >like a top, all the luck) Anyway he's interested in a Class III hitch. >Does the current hitch fit? If not, he is probably interested in the next >run of clearance syncro hitches. Could you provide me Dennis' address, >so he can order one, if Dennis has any left. I may look at modifying one >of these hitches once I can see what's involved. > >Also you might think about setting up a hitch exchange for any of the >Syncro owners that bought one of the first run hitches. > >I'll get up the the bookstore and send you off a copy of the Hot Spring >book. Any chance of seeing you this summer on the Top of the World Tour?

I plan to begin making truly wide-ranging trips again in about five years. Would have liked to go. But I would alter the trip anway as the trip seems too tame. Instead, I'd advocate driving to North West Territories' Fort Norman, Norman Wells, or some of the towns along Great Bear Lake that are accessable only in winter via winter ice roads (Echo Bay accessable?).

I think Dennis Haynes did the trip to Invunik or Prudhoe Bay, by the way.