Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 18 Dec 1995 11:47:42 -0500
From:         drew@interport.net (Derek Drew)
Subject:      2.5 Litre Big Motors From Brian

AWSOME message Brian!

>Hi, > >I departed from my house @ 9.30 am and arrived just before twelve pm. >Easy to find location, the address says Industriestrasse, so when i saw a >sign Industriepark, i turned and there it was: BAS. >Two Transporters on the parking lot (and my old Opel). > >I walked into the shop and i immediately noticed several monstrous T-IVs >on display, museum-like, later i saw a sign above the counter explicitly >stating that they were not for sale. Also: a T-IV head that came from a >911 !!! they are not made anymore due to the cost of it,they use four (!) >911 heads for one engine they cut 'n weld 'em back together, an extensive >operation that leaves you with two *HUGE* T-IV heads with overhead cams! >Everyhing very clean and organized. I recognized Mr. Ralph Schmeisser >from a picture in an older catalog i have. We shook hands and i wanted to >say my name, but he interrupted me and said: "Mr. Verbeek i guess", >obviously he saw my Dutch plates on my car. I gave him the printouts >of our posts about Ahnendorp and the message of Tom seperately, >i asked him to give this to Mr. Ahnendorp, "this is a message from the >American he spoke to a few days ago and these are printouts of electronic >mails about your company, maybe nice for you...". He promptly took 'em to >Mr. Ahhnendorp and came back with a shopping car, "let's take a look at >your motor". Got everything inside, and Ralph placed my case, heads and >crank on a rolling table. While we were discussing some things about my >case Mr. Ahnendorp came and asked (in Dutch!) if i could explain some >things, well, you can ask me a lot about VW's, but when it comes to >explaining V@L i don't know what to say... :( so i mumbled something like >internet, mailinglist, hundreds of recipients all over the world etc.

Funny.

>Maybe it gets clearer when he has read the stuff i gave him, i gave him >the weekly stats as well. Then he went on to talk about the conversation >he had with Tom. It wasn't a long conversation, he said he gets American >inquireries from time to time but that he thinks it's too expensive to >ship in small quantities. He also said that he occasionally ships to

No. It is not too expensive to ship in small quantities. The key is to ship via ordinary government surface mail (by boat). This way the person here in the USA pays low postage and most boxes come stamped "buyer responsible to pay duty" or something like that, which the USA buyer can do to the USA authorities unless he happens to forget to do this, which is entirely possible.

If he means it is too much *trouble* to ship in small quantities, then perhaps we really can make up a mass order for 2.5 litre engine parts. I bet we'd get as many as 5 or even more list members who want to make their Vanagon motors into 2.5 size.

>FAT Performance CA, he gave the example of the Porsche coolingshrouds, >FAT orders way before they need 'em, so they don't have to go by airmail, >also, you can place three of these on top of each other in one light package.

I've always *thought* of FAT as the place to go for the 2.5 engine job. Good data to have this confirmed by this post. I have been impressed with FAT's stuff over the years.

One of us should call FAT to discuss this whole issue and I expect we'll be well illuminated. Perhaps we should send them copies of the relevant pages from the catalog first. I will call them eventually, but not for a long time as I have other things on my plate right now.

>On the Wasserboxers he said no problem on the real conversion (P&C, Crank >Cam, Lifters etc.) but the induction, that's the problem, in this case the

Wow. No problem!

>Bosch Digifant injection system i believe, it has to be "retuned" to meet the >bigger engines mixture-needs, BAS doesn't do ChipTuning out of the box, they

I think this is not such an issue as it sounds. Firstly, I think it is common to go from 2.1 to 2.5 without altering the Digifant factory fuel injection. I know the west coast couple with a 2.5 that I talked to had not altered the brain/FI setup.

Secondly, I am sure that Dennis Haynes could make up any required/advisable mods for this without abandoning Digifant.