Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 18 Dec 1995 12:59:00 -0800 (PST)
From:         "Maher, Steve (SD-MS)" <SMAHER@PO2.GI.COM>
Subject:      V6anagon Chronicles /L

Now for the next installment of the V6anagon chronicals...

Sorry about the hiatus on info for this critter. We last left with a request for Joel to change the stats (which he has graciously done). Since then, all has not been entirely rosy, but life goes on.

Two days after putting the V6anagon to bed in San Diego, with vague thoughts of re-doing the super-stiff throttle linkage, I began hearing some alarming sounds from the Chevy 2.8L V6 engine that's plugged into the transaxle back there. A clattering, clacking sound when it ran, whether idling or running at at speed. Heavier than pinging, lighter than a knocking rod (I hope). What was strange was, the sound would occasionally go away, and the engine would run as sweetly as it did when I first heard it in Missouri. A few minutes later, and it would suddenly start again. The engine would bog down for a moment, then come back as the sound vanished again. Or sometimes it would quit, then restart as soon as I hit the key.

Uh-oh. I pulled the plugs one at a time, and found two with their ground prong bent down against the center electrode, with a few shiny marks in the carbon coating of the plug (engine running rich). Fished around in all cylinders with a magnet, and found several little bits of metal, around 1/8" by 3/32" cross section, and varying in length from 1/8" to maybe 3/8". All were banged up, but the longest appeared to be slightly curved.

Sounded like the engine was mysteriously eating its rings. Damn. When I inspected the car in Missouri, there was absolutely no sign of such trouble. Same during the entire 1,600 Route-66 trip home. Sure, ignition probs, wheel shimmy, a ten-ton accelerator pedal, but nothing really worrisome. Two days after I arrive, bingo.

Did a complete tune-up: Cap, rotor, plugs, wires. '80 GM distributor has electronic ignition, with vacuum and centrifugal advance, and has the coil built into the cap (?). Not a bad idea if you think about it-- one less Hi-tension wire to worry about, and all high-voltage generation confined to one place. Yes, the coil is removable as you change the cap.

Tore three plug boots in half as I removed them. The PO had said that this engine had gotten real hot a few times in the past, as he fiddled with coolant levels and bleeding the system. Now I believe him-- some wires just don't want to come off the plugs, till I finally made offers they couldn't refuse.

Put everything together, fired it up... still one solitary clackclackclack from somewhere. Bury my face in my hands, wonder what in hell I should do with this damned thing. Sorry for the French, y'all, but it was a REAL drag. I priced rebuilt long blocks ($650), used engines ($350), plus the days it would take to do the swap... I could have done this to my '71 for this kind of $$ and effort. Course, when you buy a cheap, weird car like this, it's caveat emptor, and you shouldn't be surprised if you get what you pay for.

Backed off, fabricated a new throttle linkage as a change of pace, it seems pretty light and smooth now. Removed the silly hither-and-yon exhaust, and plugged an '87 Honda Accord muffler from Checker/Kragen directly into the merged collector of the two 3-cyl exhaust manifolds-- it fits PERFECTLY. A curved tailpipe into the other end, two clamps, one hanger, and it looks like it grew there. Fired it up, engine throttles nicely, purrs quietly, sounds brand new... except.

Got some thick galvanized steel wire, bent a small loop in one end, put electrical tape (super-sticky variety) inside-out on it, stick it into each cylinder (plugs out again), fishing around in case there's an aluminum chip out of a piston rattling around in one of them that the magnet can't grab. No joy. Do it all again, with the magnet and with the tape wand. Still find nothing, re-install all plugs, fire it up, purrrrrrrr clackclackclackclack. Pull all the plugs, make rounded-tip tweezers out of more galv wire that can be bent at an angle, fish around in all cylinders. Nothing. Put the plugs back in, go inside, bake chocolate-chip cookies and put up Christmas lights.

Think think think until this weekend (single-pareting doesn't let you do much else). Go outside for a long look, think back... say, when I turn on the ignition, shouldn't I also hear the front cooling fan on the radiator, come on too? Hit the ignition, quiet as a mouse. Hmmmm.

Yank the engine lid, look at all those wires, left over from the PO's conversion. He had pointed out that the original engine had fuel injection and a computerized carb; car itself also had FI too. Now neither are there, and the PO left a lot of wires in place, sitting or hanging around doing nothing. Hmmm... here's one I don't recall hanging down quite this far. Do some voltmeter-lightbulb-ignition tricks, determine that it's the coil-ground lead (two feet long???) of a little relay bolted to the firewall. Turn on ignition, ground the lead, and guess what starts whirring away, way up in the front of the van.

I wonder how long this wire has been hanging like this. Shorten it, ground it properly. The engine-overheating might not have been as far in the past as I thought... wonder how much of Route 66 I covered with nothing but ram air into the grille to cool the radiator. Race cars run without fans, I know, using ram air exclusively, but they're going 200 mph. All thru the trip, I never saw that water-temp gauge the PO put in, rise past the one-third point. Hmmmm... some gauge. Some hookup. Some prep by me before the trip.

If I'm going to go with a used engine, it doesn't matter what happens to this one. Go outside, fire it up (clackclackclack), warm it up, pull onto the freeway. Jeez, this thing books. And the new throttle is tight, smooth, V6anagon sounds like a Cadillac, except it drones a little at high speeds. No sign of any clacking at speed. Cruise the freeways... this critter accelerates QUICKLY up 4% grades in high gear at 60 mph. My old Ford E-300 van with 302 V8, couldn't do that. Gotta be the short transmission gearing. Plus the torquiest small V6 outside a bracket racer.

Back home, it's purring like a kitten at idle. No clacking, no pinging, fan still running fine up front. Load my son into the right front seat (he's thrilled to finally get a chance to ride it-- gotta love a six-year-old's optimism), and boogie all over town. Drives like a brand-new car. Engine is COMPLETELY cured. Perhaps it finally spit that last bit of metal out the exhaust?

So now I'm grinning like an idiot (who else would buy a vehicle like this?), turning back flips, make my son a huge sundae, call all my friends. That night, I install the longer ground strap for the battery, yank off the plastic false base these batteries always seem to come with so it sits lower, stick the new tires/wheels on the front, unbolt the rack/pinion coupler and center the steering wheel. Drive it again, whizzzzzzzzz....

Stay tuned for the next installment. Hopefully not as long as this one was. I still don't know why those metal bits showed up in two cylinders, or whether any more are planning to do the same later. But for now, the sun is shining, the birds are singing (this is San Diego, remember), and all is right with the world. still gotta swap the rear wheels, bolt the center seat down, put in a tach, find out what's wrong with that temp gauge, smog and register this beast, install a radio, lube the tranny linkage, align the front, and on and on.

But, we're over the hump.

Steve Maher smaher@gi.com '80 V6anagon '71 VW Transporter