Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 18 Dec 1995 17:36:44 -0800
From:         wabbott@mtest.teradyne.com (William Abbott)
Subject:      Mermen, Sound Isulation/Absorbtion

Oh man, those who missed The Mermen missed a great show! They played for 3 hours, hit all the high points, and even played some Christmas tunes :)

It ain't cheap, BUT it works:

I"ve found the distributor and catalog for self-adhesive foam we use here at work to deaden big sheet-metal enclosures. The stuff is called Soundcoat and the Bay Area distributor is

Dan Codella CMG Premier (Mfg Rep) 960 Saratoga Avenue San Jose, CA 95129

Phone 408 248 3890 FAX 408 985 0832

One of the mechanical engineers here had this info and also found the Soundcoat bulletin on vehicles, "Noise Control For Off Road Vehicles".

I made 17 copies of the brochure and will be happy to send one to YOU if you'll send my your address.

Soundcoat's Eastern Facility 1 Burt Drive, Deer Park, LI, NY 11729 5701; 516 242 2200 Western Facility 3002 Croddy Way, Santa Ana, CA 92799 5990; 714 979 0834

They'll probably be able to point you to the local rep.

Cost for a standard 2-foot X 4 1/2 foot sheet, 3/4 inch thick, is around $25-$30. The special two-layer stuff for vehicle applications, with an emphasis on road-noise damping, is up to $50 a sheet, so you're talking about $3-5 per square foot, - .1 square Meter - youch!

The basic product is dense grey foam rubber, with adhesive and a protective paper on the adhesive. Cut to shape, peel and stick. Textured foams, additional barriers and non-foam stuff are options.

This is what a car manufacturer will use to deaden their top-of-the-line models, for example, under the hood of my Corrado is about 30mm (1 1/4") of this kind of thing...

Frank, the engineer, says to wipe down the surface with alcohol and get it squeeky clean before applying the foam. No rust, no dust or grease or oil, or the sticky stuff on foam just doesn't work.

Frank also says he's seen people spray something like rust-preventive spray onto the metal being damped and the just press the foam into that- makes me wonder about using good foam rubber and, for example, brushable seam sealer... or spray undercoating. Might be cheaper than $50 / 9 square feet! for starters....

Hope this helps someone :)

Bill