Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 18 Dec 1995 10:33:34 PST
From:         kdisse@tekstar.com
Subject:      125 HP Wasserboxer Ghia (non-transplant for Vanagon)

To all Wasserboxer Vanagon owners wanting more power without having to do a transplant.

I was looking through the August 1995 issue of VW Motoring (published in England) and ran across an interesting article about a transplanted water cooled vanagon engine in a Karmann Ghia.

Who of us on the Vanagon List would think anyone would ever want to do this ?

Oh well, I thought some of us would be interested in making some of these same modifications to our engines. (while they are still in our water cooled Vanagons that is)

Here's the engine related highlights from the article. (most of this is re-written word for word so please don't give me a bad time).

The engine came from a 1989 Transporter and was modified to obtain 105 HP at the rear wheels, a figure which equates to about 125 to 130 bhp at the flywheel. This was done with the help of Max Morley of Volkspares in London. Max undertook a complete rebuild of the engine, using a bottom end fully balanced by MacDonald Race Engineering and incorporating a heavy duty Melling oil pump. The cylinder heads were ported and polished by Max, fitted with big valves (40 mm inlet and 35.5 mm exhaust) and match-ported to the inlet manifolds. To pep up the performance still further an Eagle 120 cam was dropped into the case and this operates the valvegear via Type 4 solid tappets (in place of the standard hydraulic tappets), chrome moly pushrods and bolt-up rocker shafts. The engine is topped off with a pair of Dellorto 45 DRLA twin-choke carbs, a Bosch 009 centrifugal advance distributor and a Bosch blue coil.

Externally, the only indication that the engine is anything other than stock is the B.A.S. exhaust system, a specially made tuned length system from the German tuning firm Ahnendorp Autoteile, purchased via BR Motorsport in Leamington Spa. --------end.

This is my 2 cents worth for now !

Has anybody heard of Max Morley and Volkspares ? How about any of the others mensioned (excluding Ahnendorp Autoteile of coarse)

Kevin Disse kdisse@tekstar.com '87 Syncro GL '88 Westy GL