Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 19 Dec 1995 02:38:19 -0500
From:         Claralw@aol.com
Subject:      Re: Fording Depth/ resurrection of a 66

bob wrote: Your tranny is also vented to the atmosphere. The vent is located on the nose cone, just above the gear selector rod. It doesn't pump the water in as does the engine vent but if you submerge the nose cone you can expect to get water in the tranny. -----

so true! The 66 in progress (blue and white standard micro, nice headliner) was sitting in the low part of a field last winter. It was, at the rainiest part of the year, a pond/stream. Water got into the trans. It came out when the oil was drained, (personal decision - change tranny oil in any bus of unknown maintenance) along with a lot of guck. I hope it will be ok.

guy who had it said he drove it a few years back. So the tranny was okay then. He got it from his ex girlfriend, who got it in the divorce from her exhusband, in whose name it still was. Finally figured out how to deal with the title thing, which is easier in washington than some other states.

I built the long block, now am cleaning engine tin, and getting all the bits together. My partner's been doing rust repair - patching front floor, windshield ledges, replacing passenger rocker panel (was completely gone), and patching the cargo floor. I took out the pop out windows and will replace them with ones with actual frames that are still there. Uncracked windshields are in, with new seals, and roofing tar as extra sealant. I replaced the locks witha set with one key from a bus long gone. Bus is now 12V, with halogen headlights.

Cleaned out an intake yesterday. Drilled out the accessable carbon buildup at the ends. Tried scratching with a coathanger. That didn't do much. Couldn't blow through it. Started banging on it with a big hammer. A little black dust came out. Drilled some more. More black dust. Got the propane torch (watch out - pyro on loose - I love that propane torch) And heated it up. Glowed. Dunked it in the water bucket. Not enough water in the bucket, so I went out to the well house with another bucket and got the drippings from the leaky pipe. Poured them on the intake and then took the torch to it a couple more times. And now, when I pounded on it, low and behold, all this black guck started pouring out. Chunks Bang, tap bang tap. Till no more came out. Then I heated it up again. Dunk in sizzling water. Blew the torch into the intake to dry it out inside, steam coming out the other end. I detected an odd odor, and lit the fumes coming out with e the striker. They burned! Looked kinda neat. That buildup aint just carbon.

Maybe a bit involved, but it'll run better with a nice clear intake.

clara